Transfusion Reaction.

apple

hello every body..few days a go we had this case and i would like to share it with all of you, we might find something to help this patient;

We have 14 years old female patient with AML, she was receiving a lot of products lately , but 3 days ago once she relived the blood few minutes later she developed Transfusion reaction, we did all the work up nothing wrong except that we found her post and pre DAT positive and IgG and C3d negative, she developed fever, techacardia and hypotension.

the next day she received FFP 2 units , and platelets no problem

the day after she received PRBC again the same symptoms..and they stooped the transfusion immediately. ( fever, hypotension and tachycardia...etc)

We did all transfusion reaction work up this time..the same except that we have IgG and C3d positive, so we did Elution but its negative.

The 3 screening cell is positive only the AC is negative.

In immediate spin cross match nothing is compatible...so what do you think about that is TRALI, TACO or just febrile Reaction , and what is the way to solve it?

Thanks and happy holiday…

It's not TRALI, as the symptoms don't fit, and it is unlikely to be TACO.

It could be a febrile non-hemolytic transfusion reaction, even if the DAT is positive, as it was positive in the pre-transfusion sample. Look for HLA antibodies and consider leucodepletion.

It worries me that you performing an immediate spin cross-match in such a case.

Thanks guys for your fast replay…

Malcolm..at the beginning we used to do IS crossmatch but after the last reaction we advice the technologist to proceed for AHG crossmatch and give washed PRBC. maybe that will help...what do you think?

I would have also thought that if this was anti-IgA the reaction would have been more observable with the plasma and platelets, and fairly intense too. Do you have the Hb and Bilirubin results to see if any destruction could be occurring?

Edited by RR1

Well , ya that what got me confused because whenever she took platelets or FFP she is ok, but she got this reaction only with PRBC, well I know her latest Hb is 7 thats all what I know for now...tomorrow I will get all the result.

Just out of interest was the pre-transfusion sample a 'true' pre sample? - by that I mean you say the patient has received a lot of products lately, had they had red cells in the weeks leading up to the reaction?

I personally would be screening this patient every 72hrs for developing antibodies. However, it is very unusual to have this sort of immediate reaction when dealing with red cell antibodies other than ABO (I presume that was definitely ruled out!). You could consider a Kidd antibody. Try an enzyme IAT panel & see if anything pops up. You could also put the eluate up by enzyme IAT too.

It would be interesting to see what happens next - please keep us posted.

p.s.I would expect that an autoantibody will be appearing in your screen soon...

Hi fluffy, well that patient took blood so many times before transfusion reaction episode , I did every thing and its negative, what we did later just advice the dr. to premeditate before transfusion and we provide washed PRBC's …and guess what..its work.

Hi fluffy, well that patient took blood so many times before transfusion reaction episode , I did every thing and its negative, what we did later just advice the dr. to premeditate before transfusion and we provide washed PRBC's …and guess what..its work.

This strengthens the possibility of an HLA antibody or still, just possibly, an antibody against IgA.

:):):)

It's a very interesting case! Seems very unusual to only react in that way to red cells. May be you should get this written up? Thanks for sharing it.:)