Hi from STL

jfboyer

Hello everyone, how are you all? My name is Trey and I work at St. Johns in St. Louis MO. We are a level 1 trauma center and a collection/processing center. I am new to the field, only working a little over a year in our blood bank. I freaking love it. I really enjoy doing quality systems projects and want to work towards future goals of becoming manager or a QS coordinator. I looking forward to talking to you all and learning what you have aquired through many years of working in this field.

Hi Trey. Welcome to BloodBankTalk. As Malcolm said, it is a wonderful opportunity to learn and share ideas (and problems, unfortunately) with others in our field.

I did my laboratory training at St. John's Mercy and worked in Blood Bank for several years. I absolutely loved it there! I learned a huge amount of my Blood Bank knowledge from my coworkers there during the first few years of my career (which was many, many moons ago!) I hope you find it as rewarding as I did. (Is Jean S. still there? I imagine Mary Kay has retired as Ed. Coord. by now?)

Donna

Edited by L106

Hello Trey,

It sounds like there are a couple of us that live in STL and use BBT. The company I work for is actually based in St. Peters at Hwy 79 and 70. While we are a vendor, actually a label manufacturer and software reseller, we are actively involved in helping blood centers whether a hospital or community blood center. If this sounds like an area where you may want some help, drop me a line sometime. Good luck in an exciting field!

John McKamely

Data2 Corporation

data2.com

636-278-8888 x323

johnm@data2.com

Hey everyone thanks for the warm welcome. For all of you STL people I am thinking about going back to school to get a masters in business and also taking the SBB exam. Anyone have any suggestions on a school? I currently live on near the st. charles/st. peters area. Also what are the benifits for taking the SBB?

I recently completed an online SBB course through the Florida Blood Services and earned my SBB. I had a few reasons for doing this.

My husband is in the Air Force and we move every few years. I wanted that extra edge if I was competing against someone else for a job. Plus everytime I moved procedures/processes changed. I wanted to understand what the basic requirements were and be able to see how the standards or CAP checklists could be interpreted and put into place.

I wanted to become a true resource for the people that I work with, and this includes other MT, MLTs, Nurses, PAs, etc.

I was bored and stagnate. I needed to get my brain working again and learn new stuff.

I don't regret the year of studying. It didn't get me more money but it gave me the confidence to really talk about blood banking and be that resource.

Edited by clmergen
Malcom's reason - spelling :)

Ooh, how embarrassing, I mis-spelled my mockery. I thought I double checked that. In my defense, I spent half the morning giving tours to students with undeclared majors from the local colleges. (My brain is fried.) We are trying to show them that hospitals have more than just nurses and doctors. But if even just one becomes an MT (or MLS) it was worth it.

Ooh, how embarrassing, I mis-spelled my mockery. I thought I double checked that. In my defense, I spent half the morning giving tours to students with undeclared majors from the local colleges. (My brain is fried.) We are trying to show them that hospitals have more than just nurses and doctors. But if even just one becomes an MT (or MLS) it was worth it.

Do not worry for one pico-second.

I've only learned how to spell my name properly myself in the last two years!

:D:D