Blood Bank Ref temperature

khalidm3

Hi Friends,

New to this forum, Happy to see all of u here. I have a little confusion, how u people handle this problem:

In case temperature of a red cell containg frige goes out of range 2-6, what course of action should be taken? In my centrer I have adopted to shift the products to safe area at 8 C or beow 1 C, before it reaches 9 or zero.

Hope to listen from u soon

Thanks

RBCs must be stored between 1-6.

Your alarms should be set to alert you prior to reaching those temps, example - alarms set at 1.5 and 5.5.

If the RBCs were exposed to temperatures outside that range, you need to consider discarding them. That depends on several factors though - were they stored at 8 for 3 minutes? If so, a medical director may decide to keep them.

Our facility is very conservative when it comes to meeting the regulations. We have very good policies for our products, and very good monitoring. When products are not stored properly, we almost always discard them.

Edited by Cliff
Corrected temp ranges

Hi Cliff!

Thanks for ur quick and accurate response, We try to follow follow here AABB standards. But in my opinion red cell can be used, if the temperature is in the range of 1-10 C. We do discard red cells if this limit is out. Mostly we shift red cell to a safer area, before it reaches 8 or 1. I hope we will follow the limit of 2-6 more strictly.

What is ur practice about FFP and platelet, at what temperature u shift the producrs to safe area or discard them

Are you in the USA?

Are you accredited by AABB?

Registered with FDA?

The 1-10 range is exclusive to transport of RBCs, not storage.

Our rules are the same for FFP.

For platelets, we allow them to be in a validated cooler for up to 1 hour. After that we want them returned to a rotator.

Hi Cliff!

I am not in USA. We r planning and upgrading to acheive AABB accredation. Some ponits like this, temperature, are not clear to us. We r trying to do our best before we hire AABB consultancy and then accredation. I will appreciate ur help and support to acheive this target.

khalidm3 -

I applaud your efforts working towards AABB accreditation. I think you will find it to be a lot of work, but your institution and clients (ie: patients) will benefit from the high standards.

I assume you have some of the AABB Accreditation publications? (AABB Technical Manual, Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services, etc. Do you have access to an AABB Inspection Checklist that they use during an inspection?) These are essentials, the wording is usually pretty clear, and I have always found AABB to be very firm in expecting facilities to adhere to their standards for successful inspection and accreditation. Cliff gives the perfect example: It is acceptable for donorRed Cell products to be between 6-10 C during transportation, but not during storage.

So you need to go through those publications, standards, and checklists, etc., and make sure you meet their requirements. Then think about "Could I prove it to the inspector that we do it?" You should be able to do a lot of ground work to prepare your department before a consultant is involved. I'm sure you will also find BloodBankTalk helpful. Good luck!!

FFP and Cryo must be stored at less than -18C. Most plasma freezers maintain -30C to -40C.

If blood or plasma has to be moved to a refrigerator or freezer that is not monitored by an alarm system, the temperature must be checked at least every 4 hours.