Use of Albumin for Rh Control

vdvictory

We currently use the Orho Rh Control, but it costs >$1000 a box. We are considering making our own out of 22% Albumin. Can someone who already does this please explain a few things for me? How often do you have to make it up? Is it daily or until it is used? Do you QC it daily...if so what do you use for the Lot # and expiration date? Thanks for your help?

Edited by vdvictory
spelling

You can dilute the 22% albumin to 6-8% (1:3 with saline is what I use). I used to dilute one bottle into 3 - I used the lot# of the albumin and I used the albumin exp date (keep in mind that you are diluting the antibacterial chemicals so you have to observe your Rh control for turbidiity - if it becomes turbid, you will need to discard it). You can determine your own frequency of making this reagent and its outdate - whatever works for you. I have not had any problems with inspections/FDA.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to run Rh control if you are using Bioclone Monoclone reagents. We use this house prepared 6% albumin for AB Pos type only and we use Saline Rh control on all Rh Neg

cord bloods and Rh Neg Child bearing Mom only. The steps to prepare the 6% is to take

2.7 ml of 22% Albumin and add 7.3 ml of saline. this will give you a total of 10 ml which should last for weeks to months. The prepared reagent expire in three months.