Economy's effect on your hospital

Mabel Adams

One of our hospitals has cut the PTO you receive if you retire or quit. Example: you have 120 hours PTO, you retire or quit and you get paid out for 80 hours. Sure takes a lot of money off the books.

I'm not an attorney (and I don't play one on TV), but I'm not sure if this is legal. Seems to me that if the PTO is something that you have already accrued, the company would be obligated to pay it. (However, it might be different if it is set up that they "dump" the PTO into the employee's "bucket" at the beginning of the year, rather than the employee "accruing" it with each pay period.)

Anybody know whether this is legal? (Or just plain dirty?)

We are a busy lab that recently acquired a clinic lab.We basically had no money give to the lab for capital expenditures in the last year. Maximum PTO accruals were downsized a couple years ago. I am getting a little concerned that FTEs will take a hit. We have had two open FTEs on the books for awhile with limited applicants. Things look better for 2010 budget wise. So if anyone needs a job, send them my way quick before they change their minds and take the FTEs.:)

After reading many of these posts, I feel somwhat fortunate. We are in a hiring freeze, if someone leaves they are not replaced. We have seen drastic cuts to our benefits. Our retirement has been revamped, our PTO has been merged with our sick time. Many employees with many years of service have lost hundreds of hours which will no longer be paid. Basically we had hospital meetings which explained our current plans were not sustainable. There has been very little back lash from all of this because I think everyone is just happy to be employed. So far there have been no lay offs merely attrition. There is a great deal of concern about the current political situation and reimbursement. Basically we are just holding on. This is definitely the worst time I can remember in my 25 years in the medical field.

I'm not an attorney (and I don't play one on TV), but I'm not sure if this is legal. Seems to me that if the PTO is something that you have already accrued, the company would be obligated to pay it. (However, it might be different if it is set up that they "dump" the PTO into the employee's "bucket" at the beginning of the year, rather than the employee "accruing" it with each pay period.)

Anybody know whether this is legal? (Or just plain dirty?)

Perefctly legal. That question was asked.

"Is there a legal consequence of not giving departing employees their “earned†Paid Time Off (PTO)?

No, PTO is not an ERISA or (protected) plan benefit. PTO is a company sponsored benefit; therefore ######## can define the amount of the benefit (PTO) and how it is paid out."

• 2 months later...

The past year has been no picnic for us, we have had a freeze on overtime, hiring, and raises as well as not replacing staff who have left recently. During all of this we moved our facility, validated a new lab general computer, a new blood bank computer system, and a new ordering system for the units. We went from a required productivity over 85% to a mandatory 100+% productivity. It's the same for many hospitals in this area.