Stat XM TAT Audit

rebel1

I am working on a turn around time audit with my supervisor. What time in minutes is used as the expected goal. Does anyone have/ use a benchmark for the percentage completed within the established goal. Are there criteria for determining true "stat" samples?

We have set our TAT at 45 minutes for all stats. The exceptions being positive antibody screens and antibody histories. While we could probably move it to 30 minutes, I have chosen to leave it where it is for now.

We monitor our ERs at least once per week, and 95% is the benchmark our facility has set for all lab testing, not just BB. I have not bothered to monitor the rest of our stats. I assume that if any other stat was delayed, the techs were busy with a higher-priority patient. After all, the fact that over 90% of our samples are stat has more to do with the nurses wishes than the doctor's actual orders or the patient's condition.

Karen

We have a TAT for STAT of 45min, but we are a small (physical distance) hospital with one central issue fridge. It is usually quicker, but don't set yourself a target that may often not be acheived. That is for full crossmatch of the blood, not just computer issue.

We have ours set at 45 minutes. You don't want it so low that it is unachieveable, but also, you don't want it too high. I set it at 45 minutes so that a few fall out at every audit. There may be viable reasons that the 45 minute threshhold could not be achieved, but it may also be that there is a portion of the entire process that needs to be reviewed for improvement. I compare it to a 2 SD on controls, it is not going to be within range every time, but just because it is outside the limits does not necessarily mean that there is a problem. It is flagged though so that more attention can be paid to that single test.

If this is a poll, we use 45 minutes for STATs from ER, Surgery and the ICUs excluding instances AHG crossmatch; and 95% compliance which is almost always achieved. We are a small hospital (<200 beds) and have no OB or Neonatal Service. Additionally, we use gel which has improved time consistency to at least the fourth degree.

<comment added by admin>

This was the 10,000th post made at BloodBankTalk!!!

STAT XM - 60 minutes, but usually finished in 45 minutes.

STAT Type and screen (after receipt into BB) - 45 minutes, provided there's no antibodies or other problems.

Keep a "fudge factor" of about 10-ish minutes for paperwork, phone calls, etc.

Plus, getting things done before your deadline makes you look good:cool:

We have established a 1 hour TAT from time BB testing ordred till testing reported.

For blood products it is 1 hour unless patient has had or has positive antibody screen.

Our contract with the medical staff states we will call whenever the STAT TAT will be exceeded.

We originally had a 60 minute TAT goal but we were able to prove that such a goal was not really reasonable within our facility. My TAT for uncomplicated (antibody screen negative) crossmatches is now 75 minutes with a goal of 90% (all locations). We are a nearly 800 bed facility with automation (Galileo) and a disturbingly high percentage of our received samples are STAT (some days more than 50%, I really love the STAT crossmatch requests on preaddmission surgery samples where the patient isn't scheduled for the actual surgery for another two weeks...). The Galileo has a 40 minute cycle time (approx.), add that to the time in the centrifuge and misc. handling and we have a window of about 10 minutes in which to complete the crossmatch. One telephone call or problem and the 60 minute TAT is out the window. Our TAT was from sample receipt to the first unit becoming ready to issue but, with the advent of electronic crossmatching, we look at recepit to antibody screen result. This change really helped us improve our TAT statistics. My suggestion is to work up the numbers, see what they actually are and then set your goal.

• 1 month later...

Our 60 minute TAT is from recpt to result.

We currently use gel (going to the Echo... SOON, I hope!).

So we have the specimen in the centrifuge for 10 minutes, 15 minute gel incubation, 11 minutes for centrifugation of gel card, a couple of minutes for pipetting, etc. So that is about 40 minutes.

But just like eveyone else, you need to consider the interuptions possible: another "super" STAT, issuing blood, answering the phone, thawing FFP, pooling Platelets. For night shift they are doing ABGs, chemistry, hematology, stat gram stains, etc.... and across the lab.

Linda Frederick