Meditech and instrument interface

If anyone has interfaced anything with Meditech, can you upload Antigen typing results? It seems that Meditech doesn't allow anything except "T-type" and "B-type" tests to be uploaded.

We will be getting our Echo soon,and I hope this is wrong, because I'd love to run antigen typing on units on the analyzer and then send the results across on the interface. (That's being optimistic that we can get anything to cross the interface!)

Linda Frederick

We are just in the process of building our Meditech BB Module. We too have an ECHO and put in for an interface. We just learned that the only results that will cross over are ABO/Rh. We have put the interface on hold indefinitely until they are capable of handling all the results.

p.s....when we were deciding what software we were going to puchase, Meditech assured us that the ECHO interface was fully functional. They just didn't share specifics! lol

I worked with a MediTech C/S system as a manager for almost 5 years and found them to be most unhelpful with anything new. Your best bet is to contact the instrument company to see if they know of any MediTech users, then contact the user directly. With permission and pressure, MediTech can copy the other labs interface file to your system.

Unfortunately, if you do not perform a due diligence and research of the company that your are considering in purchasing equipment and software you will end up with false expectations.

Companies will sell their equipment and not totally provide fair balance and information regarding interfaces, upgrades, scalability, and where you as a customer will be in 6-8 years. This is the reason that purchasing a computer and software must be a calculating, researched project encompassing a variety of different factors.

In the case of most customers with purchased equipment the decision was made by executive level management without regard for the necessary factors of user interfaces, future enhancements, and efficient customer service.

However you the user will be the one to live with the decision. The solution is to have a generic non biased guide to purchasing equipment and software. I can provide that guide if you wish - just let me know.

By the way I do represent a manufacturer of blood bank/software equipment but what I will provide will not have any company name or product - this Buyers Guide is a help and service. If you like what you see please recommend me to your colleagues.

Carlos

We were with Soft Computer for years, and a decision was made to go to Meditech CS by unknowns beyond lab and Xray control. We loved Soft. If you had a problem it was fixed. The inquiry reports were lvery ab friendly. We still have issues with Meditech from our go live in 2001. Reports are extra NPR's that you have to pay to have built. We have trouble with delays in getting issue and crossmatch cards in emergency situations as the print job has to be lined up with all other print jobs. If you have a problem the standard answer is that they don't know if it is a software deviation and they will investigate and get back to you. Three months later they are asking for another copy of the screen shots you sent them, and it goes on and on. Mary

We were with Soft Computer for years, and a decision was made to go to Meditech CS by unknowns beyond lab and Xray control. We loved Soft. If you had a problem it was fixed. The inquiry reports were lvery ab friendly. We still have issues with Meditech from our go live in 2001. Reports are extra NPR's that you have to pay to have built. We have trouble with delays in getting issue and crossmatch cards in emergency situations as the print job has to be lined up with all other print jobs. If you have a problem the standard answer is that they don't know if it is a software deviation and they will investigate and get back to you. Three months later they are asking for another copy of the screen shots you sent them, and it goes on and on. Mary

When you were with Soft, what automation interpahsed well with it?

What Automation are you using now?

Thank you

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I know about Meditech and instrument interfacing (Provue, Echo, Tango, whatever.):

If you want Antibody screen results to go across, you need to create a new "P" or "G" type test with the T-type individual reactions for cell 1, cell 2. This is a work around only. It will cause problems with antibody screen showing in your history downtime report, if you use it. [We have an NPR for downtime that we created before Meditech had a downtime report available, so we don't use their downtime report.]

They do have a DTS (Magic Lab #14465) to fix it to allow antibody screen results to cross the interface. It will be available in 5.63. Unfortunately for us, we just upgraded to 5.62 and Meditech will not load this DTS until our next upgrade. So it will be 18 months or so until our next upgrade.

Antigen typing results are a "whole 'nother problem" and won't go across either.

We just got our Echo and will be looking to interface it soon. I will be building a new ABS test as a "P" or "G" type test to work around this issue.

What computer system you get is usually not up to the Lab Manager or Transfusion Service supervisor, integrated systems are what everyone wants.

What instrumentation to get will probably be up to the TS supervisor, unless you are part of a larger group and they want uniformity.

We went with the Echo based on what we saw in ease of operation, add on specimens, turnaround time, and ease of repair. We felt the switch from gel to solid phase would not be too difficult (we have been through tube, ReACT, tube-Peg, then Gel, what is another method?) I will let you all know how it goes now that we have the analyzer. So far I really like it. Training was excellent. Excellent materials and excellent instructor.

Linda Frederick

• 2 months later...

Hi all

We are in the process of interfacing the ECHO with Meditech Magic 5.6.

With Meditech, as you know, getting "new" services in the way that is logical to us vs their way of thinking is a challenge to say the least.

My understanding from my own LIS person, is that the antibody screens will cross, and he is able to have the criteria line up with how we manually resulted with tube testing. It seems to be a matter of how you build your rules to coincide with what is sent over from the ECHO. We are going to be using rules to "reflex" Ready ID's. Because you still have to write your results on the master list and read the antigerams to determine what Ab you have, we are opting to have the Echo send a "complete'" message to the interface to result;Antibody screens will send over cell 1,2and 3 reactions, plus pos ctrl. We were able to set up 2 rules/calcs that will reflex our usual comments and markers, same as in tube. To actually result an antibody ID, we will be using our ABID as before, but it will only be a reportable, not chargeable test. The ReadyID, extend II, etc. will result as complete, but will only be a charge, not reportable test. this will help us in reflecting how many panels we need to do in order to get the antibody ID, and have the billing coincide better than our prev. set-up. We are in validation of this process, so will update if anyone's interested as we go along.......

• 5 weeks later...

Hi! We are considering purchasing an Echo and were told that it interfaces with Meditech C/S? Is is still the case as with the previous posts that the only results that cross are the ABO/Rh? Is there anyone out there with Meditech C/S that has an Echo interfaced? Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

bbbirder,

We run a ProvVue with Meditech. The interface only accomodates T type tests and ABS type tests. This means we can use the interface for typing patients and units as well as antibody screens. We also can do crossmatches (ISXM or IgG), these we print out and enter manually. Although ProVue doesn't officially accomodate antigen typing I have been validating procedures for running these as well. Antigen typing would also require manual entry into Meditech. Antibody panels can be run on ProVue, these are also a manual entry.

We have a validated Echo and are currently entering results into Meditech manually. We would like to interface now that it's up and running...Is there anyone who would be willing to talk briefly with my IT department regarding the Echo interface to Meditech? Our lab analyst was the former BBK supervisor...so I promise it won't be painful!). Please send any contact information to mainsh@hanoverhospital.org

Thanks!!

Heather

Long time no post...

We are still working with Meditech on our interface with the Echo. It will send across the t-type reactions for ABO/Rh. The Antibody screen t-type tests won't go into a 'standard' ABS type test, because of the <shift> <right arrow> function (at least that is my understanding of this). However, our facility just decided to upgrade to 5.63, because of the "Clinical Initiative" (whatever that is...). That means the DTS to transmit ABS type tests will be loaded for use soon. I am electing to have the Blood type go across (reactions... still having trouble with the interpretation type part not translating right from Echo to Meditech). Since I have a blood type calculaiton, I am not too worried about the interpretation part. We will manually enter the antibody screen reactions until we are upgraded to 5.63 (in a few months).

Regarding donor unit retypes... do you need to label the donor segment specmiens with a bar code with a specimen number, or can you use the unit number? If you use the unit number, how are you doing this in the interface?

Thanks,

Linda Frederick

So do you pull segments and label with a unit bar code, then label again with a specimen bar code?

Do you autogenerate labels for the unit specimens when you receive the units or something else?

I am just trying to figure out the best process for this.

Thanks!

Linda Frederick

For those of you out there who have either purchased or tried to interface the Echo with Meditech, are you Magic or C/S sites? If there is a C/S site out there, could you give me contact information so I could speak to you personally regarding the process. We are currently in the process of trying to get approval to buy and Echo and would very much like to have it interfaced if possible. Thank you for your help.

Have you found any problems in validation? We are just starting validation and it seems to miss antibodies that have a weak reaction with gel.

We have found 2 cases of weak-reacting K found in Gel that were missed by Echo. On the other hand, I did find 1 Anti-Jk(B) missed on Gel but picked up on Echo. We are still in the preliminary phases of validation, so time will tell...

About interfaces & Meditech. We are Magic and still having interface 'issues', this is complicated by a sudden decision to upgrade our system to 5.63. So I am trying to get 5.62 test validated, waiting to go LIVE with it, then upgrade to 5.63 (and 5.63 has new DTSs related to the interface.)

I have heard from some other sites with C/S that Meditech does not have an interface for the Echo in C/S. This is bizarre to me... need I say it? typical Mediech.

As for the anti-K's, we have not missed any anti-Ks with the Echo. We had some anti-E's that were very weakly reactive on the Echo vs gel. We sent these to Immucor. Not all reports are back yet. At least one of these was probably IgM. There is another thread related to this that you might want to follow.

Linda Frederick