Peg Autoadsorption Vs "warm" Treatment (zzap)

DFields

Using the PEG method for warm autoadsorption is so much easier and faster than first treating the cells with WARM (ZZAP)--is there a true risk of missing an underlying alloantibody? Are others out there using the PEG adsorption method (for auto and/or alloadsorptions?)

:confused:

We don't do our own absorptions :D. We send them to ARC reference lab. I worked for a facility that did there own using ZZAP. It took forever just to wash the absorbing cells :cries:. I have heard that absorptions with PEG goes much smoother. Maybe someday I'll get to try it.

I believe that SE Michigan ARC reference uses PEG for their absorptions. I remember some discussion about PEG when I attended the MABB lecture series but my notes are buried deep in my basement. I'll check some of my references at work tomorrow.

we use W.A.R.M. (commercially available). We need to wash the cells 3X after the incubation with W.A.R.M. solution. We do run into a problem where package insert require us to run adsorbed plasma against pt's own WARM treated cells and against either screening cells ar panel cells. As per insert adsoption is complete if we have negative results with both. (or in presence of allo, only allo is present). Many times we see reactivity with pt's WARM treated cells but no reactivity with pt's screening cells. IF anybody is using WARM and have any idea please post.

Thank you

• 6 months later...