unit DATs

bevydawn

I just took over as Blood Bank Supervisor in a small hospital where they have the "if its not broke, dont fix it" mentality. However, I would like to make some changes. One thing I would really like to change is unit DATs. They require them on all donor units that are to have an indirect antigen test performed because it may cause a false positive. I have worked at several other facilities and have never had to do this anywhere but here. Can I get some input about whether this is done at other facilities? I cant find any literature about this in any books, except of course, in our SOPs! Thanks for any help!!

I see no reason to routinely perform DATs on donor units. If you get an incompatible XM at AHG that does not make sense with your antibody screen or antibody ID result, then you can do a DAT on the unit to see if that is causing a false positive.

For example: 1. Patient has a negative antibody screen but one unit is incompatible at AHG. Do DAT to differentiate false pos from possible antibody to low frequency antigen. 2. Patient has anti-E and a unit that was typed E negative is incompatible at AHG. Do DAT to help diffentiate false pos from possible additional antibody to low frequency antigen or incorrect E typing on unit.

We have it written into our SOP that these are circumstances when performing a DAT on the donor unit is indicated.

Good luck....I think you are trying to move in the right direction.

I agree with the other posters. We do not routinely perform DATs on donor units either. I can also speak from the experience of being a new supervisor (3 1/2 years now). You will probably discover a lot of things that need changing and the best way is to do exactly what you're doing. Just slowly make changes and chip away at all the old ways until you have them up to date.

Good luck!