Plasma thawer for Cryoprecipitate

conwaysbb

Need to pruchase a new plasma thawer that will accomodate from 10-20 units of cryoprecipitate. Would appreciate advice on what plasma thawer to purchase and manufacturer of same. Also if you have had any good or bad experience with any particular brand/device

Thanks

Last year we bought a Helmer plasma thawing system (model DH8). We love it! We use it to thaw FFP/CPP and cryo. It can easily thaw 10-20 units of cryo at a time. This particular model sits on the counter and takes up less space than a traditional waterbath. :o

We also purchased a Helmer thawer a few months ago. Great machine. Easy to use and easy to maintain. Our blood center packages Cryos like mens' hankerchefs...folded in quarters. We place 3 in one overwrap, thaw for 10 minutes, unfold the softened bags and set the timer for another 10 minutes. No problemo. We recommend using the nifty plastic inserts to compress the tops of the overwrap bags so the Cryos don't creep up above the water line (because they are so light weight). Another great feature of this machine is that the rack actually rises up above the water level when the product is finished...no more forgotten products (like with Thermogenesis). Now, if they would just reconfigure the plastic lid with some baffles to allow condensation to drain easier that would be icing on the cake. (I want free overwraps for life if they use my idea).

What I would like is for the lid to have some way to flip up rather than be removed completely. I never know where to put it. The condensation makes it even more of a dilemma. In any case, it is still 100 times better than a regular waterbath.:sprint:

Need to pruchase a new plasma thawer that will accomodate from 10-20 units of cryoprecipitate. Would appreciate advice on what plasma thawer to purchase and manufacturer of same. Also if you have had any good or bad experience with any particular brand/device

Thanks

We recently purchased the Helmer DH8. It will thaw up to 8 units of FFP and easily 20 units of cryo. It is perfect for plasma exchange patients and OR needs. We thaw 8 units of FFP in about 20 minutes. Cryo thaws even faster. The price is reasonable for what you get.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I have a great idea! Seeing that I live in Indiana and we're in the process of getting 6in of snow, I volunteer to PERSONALLY see that whatever/whosever units of FFP and/or Cryo that needs thawed are PERSONALLY thawed by me..on a beach...in, let's say...the Bahamas! Nothin' like adding that PERSONAL Hoosier touch! Oh, and...great job Colts!

• 2 months later...

We also have Helmer DH8. Liked the first one so much that we got a second one. It's a little nosier than the first one for unknown reason. They have made some improvements since the first one. Baskets are now all stainless instead of being powder coated. As our first one got older we noticed some flaking off of the powder coat which clogged the drain. Of course you can get replacement baskets for a nominal fee. Would like to also see them make the lid where it can just be lifted back out of the way instead of taken off. I'm sure if there are overhead constraints this wouldn't work...problem is where to put the lid when you are using the waterbath. We also have a Thermogenesis but most techs like the Helmer better.:)

We have a 4 bag and 10 bag Thermogenesis. They break down frequently after the first 2-3 years, especially the 10 bag model. We are in the market for new thawers. Getting a demo DH4 Helmer unit next week, although we will probably need the DH8.

Does anyone have experience with the Sarstadt Sahara that uses warm air...it seems like a convection oven for thawing plasma. My concern about that unit is a broken bag could be difficult to clean.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have experience with the Sarstadt Sahara that uses warm air...it seems like a convection oven for thawing plasma. My concern about that unit is a broken bag could be difficult to clean.

Yes the Sahara is in fact difficult to clean. Furthermore the hot air is very hot and you have to buy extra accessories if you'd like to thaw up more than two units. In addition it takes longer than the systems operating with water.

Did you try one in the meanwhile?

br

Chris

• 2 weeks later...