Using a Tag Gun

a1027

Do you guys use a tag gun for labeling units with patient information? If so, do you have a procedure or any research on it? My manager is concerned with piercing the platelet bags, since they do not have the small holes already, and that jeopardizing the bag/products.  

16 minutes ago, TreeMoss said:

Yes, we use a tag attacher gun to label the units with the crossmatch slip. There is sufficient plastic at the top of the bag to pierce for the tag even if there is not a hole. I think we are more concerned with the MLS poking his/her finger!

I have done this! We did like our tachit gun though especially when the OR and ER are waiting for their units. 

We use some tie tag things.  Think zip ties but really fine and the line and connector are round not flat.  No gun required although I have used that process in the past and we never punctured a platelet in any way that affected quality, purity or potency.  We put our bag tag labels on manila cards and tie tag those to the units, (through the hanging hole on platelets).

• 2 weeks later...