Helmer Plasma Thawer-water change frequency

kmiller

Hi! I am inquiring if anyone has any information about extending the amount of time you can go between draining the water in the thawer. We have a Helmer Plasma thawer (brand new) and draining the bath and refilling is a bear for us, since we do not have easy access to DI water. 

Has anyone done any research on this or has anyone ever extended the amount of time (as long as nothing was spilled in the bath). We thaw about 25-50 units a month on average. 

Thanks! :) 

7 minutes ago, Bet'naSBB said:

Does it specifically call for DI water?  We've had one for YEARS and always use tap water and their clean bath.  We empty, clean and refill ours once a week.

I have one and if I am not mistaken, it recommends against DI water, so we use tap water and change it weekly as suggested by the manufacturer.

@kmiller

Double check the Operator's or ServiceHelmerPlasmaThawer.jpg.e7e11da4732117efe3b59d71856c3654.jpg manual.  Its states NOT to use DI water as it may be corrosive to the chambers and baskets.  They suggest using tap or distilled water.  Tap works just fine for us. We haven't extended cleaning beyond 1 week.   

We have used DI water in ours for years at the other location and at my previous employer and nothing has ever happened that is corrosive. Our tap water is far from acceptable to use so we steer clear of that. We have the manual and did see that statement. 

I only ask this because the supervisor before me attempted to do a study and cultured the water for a month and nothing ever grew, but since the research was not done correctly, it could not be used to extend the cleaning time. 

Thanks for the advice! :) 

We use tap water, add Clean Bath after disinfection and rinsing. Clean at least weekly - deionized water is the corrosive one, I think - Distilled water is fine but a pain to get enough to the bath to fill it. Our baths are next to a sink so easy drain and refill.