Blood Transfusion Consent form consistent with Patient Blood Management

Mabel Adams

Does anyone have a transfusion consent form to share that is more modern and reflects risks and benefits more in keeping with patient blood management concepts?  I find many that talk about HIV but few that mention immunomodulation or TRALI.  Many examples also state that the physician explains the risk to the patient but how do they do that at 2 AM in a community hospital when the nurse phones the MD for orders? 

Thanks for any examples.

Risks of Blood Transfusion, rev Nov 2013.docPatient Blood Transfusion Information, rev Nov 2013.docWe do not discuss specific risks on the form. Just a general "my physician has discussed the risks, benefits, and alternatives...has discussed consequences of refusing, etc". And "I have been provided written info about the risks, benefits, and alternatives if requested".

We have a list of actual risks on our hospital intranet for our physicians, because most of them have never heard of TRALI or TACO honestly.

So if the patient really wants to know more, we have a patient information form that is a little more general and easy to understand.

Those are great!  Do you assume that the MDs know the benefits and alternatives without a cheat sheet?

Most physicians are not updated on the current risks compared to the risks of "back in the day" like HIV, HCV, etc.  At least the ones I have dealt with.  We have been doing aggressive education here for physicians and nurses for TACO and TRALI because we had a few here last year.  They are getting much better at recognizing them, notifying us and acting quickly.

There was an interesting article a while back about speaking to patients after their transfusion about what the conversation with their doc was about risks, etc.  It was either non-existent or very brief, and really did not address the actual risks of transfusion.

• 2 weeks later...