Cord Blood Specmien Type

Ok, shorter post.  I need to know your protocol, but also probably need some info from your L&D Dept. to really resolve my dilemma (if anyone has a moment to check this out with them....would very much appreciate it; I know that is asking a lot).

We currently use a black screw-top clot tube for Cord Blood Specimens (and apparently it is sterilized).  I want to switch to EDTA (which I have used in 5 other places....so know it is possible).  We would be able to put that on the new automation we are getting (currently performing manual testing).  So I have asked L&D to draw both black-capped tube and pink EDTA on all OB patients for awhile so I can do correlation studies and switch us over.  Problems:

1.  They are saying Physician has to change gloves to put specimen in pink EDTA since tube is not sterile....and they are not liking that...so want me to find a "sterile EDTA tube" they can use.  I am "thinking" you could not sterilize a tube with an anticoagulant in it.  At first they just said they would not be able to do it for C-Sections (due to sterility), but then added vaginal deliveries as well.

2.  Having been able to use EDTA everywhere else I worked, have to wonder what the problem is here......are they changing gloves at all of those other Hospitals....or, is it "not an issue" to use the same gloves and put cord specimen in an EDTA?  I don't know the process at the other places I have worked, just that they were able to use those tubes.

Wondering what kind of tube you guys use......and if it is not a sterile tube, if you would take a moment to call your L&D Manager and ask how it is collected (i.e. does the Physician change gloves to obtain that)?  I know it is do-able....just need to find out what the secret is.

Thanks in advance, :)

Brenda Hutson, MT(ASCP)SBB

We are having the same conversation.  Have been having the same conversation for years.  They refuse to change tubes unless it can be sterilized and the only sterilized tubes we can find come in a kit with a red and a purple top.  We don't want to pay for a tube we don't want.  It would be so much better for workflow if we could put them on the Neo.

About every 6 months, I bring it up again!

We are also going round and round this same issue of getting rid of the glass red top in the L&D pack and it has no easy solution.  Some of our L&Ds have agree to fill the EDTA outside the sterile field and others refuse.  At one site someone decided to ignore the "do not try and steam sterilize" an EDTA tube and it exploded in the autoclave, so now they get it.   We have our materials dept working with vendors to see other options.  I have never seen the black screw top tube.  Is that plastice?  And if so, which vendor?

Wow, who knew this could happen at so many hospitals?  We have the same issue.  L&D insist on glass red top tubes for vaginal deliveries because they are sterilized in the pack.  However, we get 6 ml EDTA from C-section deliveries!!  Plus the red tops are usually smeared with blood.  It's disgusting!

5 hours ago, goodchild said:

We get pink tops. K2EDTA. Sounds like they're not following appropriate labeling conventions if we're getting them without problems.

Would you be able to find out:

1.  Are the tubes you are getting sterilized (I am pretty sure not....don't think they could be)?

2.  What is their process for putting the cord blood in this "non-sterile" tube (i.e. are they changing gloves; wearing same gloves; just don't see it as an issue to use same gloves; or what?). 

Obviously a lot of us would like to know how your Hospital (and many others) can do what ours are refusing to do....:rolleyes:

Brenda

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:16 PM, pbaker said:

We are having the same conversation.  Have been having the same conversation for years.  They refuse to change tubes unless it can be sterilized and the only sterilized tubes we can find come in a kit with a red and a purple top.  We don't want to pay for a tube we don't want.  It would be so much better for workflow if we could put them on the Neo.

About every 6 months, I bring it up again!

So there is such a thing as a sterilized EDTA?  Interesting....but I agree, why pay for that extra tube; not worth it.  But I doubt that is what all of the     Hospitals are doing who have "found a way" to use EDTA tubes for cord specimens....so would love to know what "their" process is.

Thanks

Brenda

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:31 PM, Brenda Hutson said:

So there is such a thing as a sterilized EDTA?  Interesting....but I agree, why pay for that extra tube; not worth it.  But I doubt that is what all of the     Hospitals are doing who have "found a way" to use EDTA tubes for cord specimens....so would love to know what "their" process is.

Thanks

Brenda

pbaker, do you happen to know which company sells the sterilized Red and EDTA combo?

Thanks

Brenda