Thawed Plasma and FDA Requirements

SBriggs

I know there are some conversations about this topic already out there, but I haven't been able to find the answer to my questions.

My facility would like to being using Thawed plasma with the 5 day outdate.  I am currently not registered by the FDA and need to know if this would require me to register?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think that is one of the gray areas.  To thaw plasma and use the FDA recognized post thaw dating you do not have to register.  Changing to "Thawed Plasma" is relabeling as a different product....but one that I do not believe is FDA licensed so you have to make sure the FDA license # is crossed off.  I would tend to agree with Eagle Eye and say you do not have to register.  We do use "Thawed Plasma" and are FDA registered.  We were visited by the FDA a few weeks ago and when she heard we were discontinuing our Autologous Donor program due to low volume, she said we could discontinue our registration if it wasn't that we irradiated blood.  She knew we use Thawed Plasma and did not mention that would require that we remain registered.    

You do not need to register with the FDA to convert FFP/FP24 to the 5day Thawed Plasma product.  You are not "manufacturing" a new product, rather just applying a new product code and expiration date.  However, since you need to apply a new ISBT128 product code label, it may change your registration requirements with ICCBBA.