- Came into maternity at 36w with high blood pressure

And the results

APos with 4+ reaction strength in both D clones

Postitve 3 cell screen in cells one and 2

Confirmatory D - negative

Panel shows anti-D strongly reacting

DCT is neg

Phenotype is C+E-c+e+K-

There is no evidence of her being given Rhophylac in error (though this wouldn't show up as a positive antibody screen in a Rh+ woman, but a pos DCT??)

My first thought was maybe an anti-f but as the phenotype is c+e+ this blew this theory out of the water.

So the question is - is there a D subgroup that shows 4+ reactivity but illicits an allo-D?

I'm confuddled...

Update:

Baby has been born and had IUGR. The baby results were Bilirubin 30 and no Hb obtained as the sample was clotted. The DCT was 3+ and the baby has been given immunoglobulins and phototherapy.

The sample that was sent to Liverpool has beaten them and they have forwarded the sample to Bristol - so it looks like it is possibly something quite novel.

APos with 4+ reaction strength in both D clones

Confirmatory D - negative 

I don't know what Rh testing protocol you follow there so pardon my ignorance.

You routinely use two different anti-D clones for Rh typing, which ones are they?

When you say confirmatory D - negative, does that mean you tried a third anti-D reagent which was negative? If so, which clone is that reagent?

Very curious to hear what you say, we're still working on our policy relating to this situation.

I don't know what Rh testing protocol you follow there so pardon my ignorance.

You routinely use two different anti-D clones for Rh typing, which ones are they?

When you say confirmatory D - negative, does that mean you tried a third anti-D reagent which was negative? If so, which clone is that reagent?

Very curious to hear what you say, we're still working on our policy relating to this situation.

I'm in a new lab now so I'm not sure what the clones are as of yet (though I will find out). There is more than one clone per well.

The confirmatory-D is our quick screen to determine if the antibody is Rh - to help with prophylaxis ID rather than doing a full 11-cell panel. It is just a 3 cell screen without the Rh antigens(rr). If this is negative we know we have an Anti-D (or E or C). 

We, at Liverpool, suspect mother is DIII but, as Malcolm said, we will need some (sequencing) help from IBGRL to 'pin it down'!

Hi John *waves* 

I'm trying to organise a sweep on what D it is - would it be cheating if I changed my guess now??

• 2 months later...