Transfusion Committee Meetings

aj2018

We have a transfusion committee meeting quarterly.  We discuss blood usage review, doctor's stats as far as xmatch and transfusion, crossmatch/transfusion ratio, units wasted, any transfusion reactions and any emergency release that happened. 

I was wondering what other things do you discuss at your transfusion committee meetings and do you present any other statistics like Type and screens..etc.. do you discuss only red cell transfusion numbers or alos rhogam FFP platelets etc.

any insight will help thank you

We bring up results of inspections (CAP/FDA/CMMS) when they occur and are available for review.  Interesingly the blood bank here is under the surgical committee though we do not attend any of their meetings (and haven't in the 20+ yrs I have been here).

Any significant changes in policy are also initiated from the TC before going before the Medical Staff for approval.

Problems with physicians which are not able to be resolved by the BB Med Dir are brought to committee.

Same as Dave and I bring up any new technologies or potential LIS additions that we might bring on. Our Trans. Comm wants the meeting over and done with in an hour so taking the time to present statistics about tests that require no action or even comment isn't worth the effort IMHO.  So what you do now, with useful agenda items that require actions and decisions should be it I think.

Aside from what was mentioned we discuss derivative product usage, Nuclear Med reinfusions (thanks NYS), intraoperative and postoperative blood salvage, theraputic phlebotomies,  transfusion form completeness, MTPs (if any) ummmm oh...and whatever the flavor of the week issue is.  Like recently its been unncessary calls to the blood bank to see if blood is ready for a patient (its available in the LIS for all to see). I think that about covers it.  Much of what we "report" on is provided in guidelines put out by the great state of New York.   Hope that helped!

We also bring up:

The time between request and the commencement of the transfusion

The number of requests out of hours

The numberof requests received out of hours and transfused in routine hours

The number of requests received in core hours and transfused out of hours

Edited by Auntie-D

Hi All,

Agenda from (Quarterly) HTC (last week in fact) follows

Agenda

• Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising
  • Blood Bank Stats
  • Haemovigilance Report – SAEs, SARs, Blood Stats, etc