STAT- what if we can't find a Vel neg unit?

Hi, our local Reference Lab is valiantly trying to find a Vel neg  RBC unit or two for one of our patients. He has received many Vel neg units and seems to have depleted the supply, possibly nationwide.

Just curious- what, if any, is a "typical" reaction to a patient with Anti Vel receiving a Vel pos unit? None to Severe won't help if I have to chat with the patient's MD about this. Thanks

Hi Karrieb61,

I know that you said that "no to severe" would not do, but that, I am afraid is the answer!  Anti-Vel , however, should always be treated as if it is clinically significant, as a severe reaction is more common than no reaction.

If no Vel- blood is available at all, or if blood is required so urgently that you cannot wait until Vel- blood can be provided, your MD could try covering the transfusion with IVIG, but even then.............

Thanks to all for your comments. I had to take a few days off unexpectantly so sorry for the delayed thanks. We did locate a couple of units through our rare donor registry at the local reference center luckily. I hear they are going to give the patient Procrit to try and reduce his transfusions.