blood bank

nick7791

i would appreciate your ans and feedback so i can understand and clarify

Q1 patient 16 week pregnant has anti Bga, what should the tech do

is it titration or include cell in the panel or something else

Q2 D- C+ E+ c+e  what are possible genotypes

is it RGr' or r'r'' or 

And as for your possible genotypes, I would want to see the results of real molecular testing.  This phenotype is just much too rare (it does exist) but it screams out that there's something funny.  But just on the basis of what you've got :D- on both sides, a C on one side and a c on the other , and ditto for the E/e.   So the following possibilities exist:

dCE/dce or ryr

dCe/dcE or r'r''

Anna

I agree with the above answers.

Anti-Bga is not considered to be clinically significant, and I would not bother to titrate such a case.  The Bga antigen is also very variable in strength; not just from one individual to another, but from a single individual over a period of time (so it is impossible to standardise the titration anyway).  What I would do is to remove the Bga antigen from the red cells you have used to identify the antibody specificity (you can do this using a variety of chemicals - see any decent text book), just to ensure it really is anti-Bga, and not another specificity directed against a low prevalence antigen that just happens to be expressed on the red cells.

If you really look for it (and you DON'T want to do this, as you will get bogged down in antibodies that have no clinical significance), you can find many HLA-related antibodies of various specificities in maternal plasma.

As usual, I agree entirely with Anna's comments about the Rh problem.

In another post, you were also asking about anti-K.  You would use a couple of K+ red cell samples and sufficient K- red cell samples to rule out any other specificities.  If you like to experiment, however, if you want to make "false Ko red cells", you can treat them with DTT or ZZAP, but be careful, as other blood group system red cells can also be weakened or completely disrupted by these chemicals.

question asked on paper: What is the first classic symptom of or acute and delayed transfusion reaction.

and is there any test done when an patient has delayed transfusion reaction to confirm it. Thanks

about anti Bga: i read it in technical manual that it may cause hemolytic disease of newborn. so if question asked if anti bga in pregnant patient still dont do any work up as it is clinically insignificant..?? thanks

• 3 weeks later...