look back

jojo808

From what I understand recipient notification is necessary if a donor has been repeatedly reactive or confirmed positive for  HIV or HCV testing. Our policy also declares we make 3 attempts (via certified mail) to the recipient and the recipient's primary care physician of the exposure. I think there is a time of 8 or 10 weeks to accomplish this.

We have a template letter to the MD and a different one for the recipient with check-off boxes of whether it was the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd attempt of notification for HIV/HCV positive testing on the donor.

My questions:

1. If recipient is deceased, I read that we need to notify next of kin or legal representative. Is this true for both HIV and HCV??

2. Does anyone notify the recipients physician for positive, confirmed testing for HBV or anything else that your supplier tests for?

Just want to make sure we are doing it right.

Refer to 42CFR482.27. The reg specifically says: "For possible HIV infectious transfusion beneficiaries that are deceased, the physician or hospital must inform the deceased patient's legal representative or relative."

We would notify for HBV and basically any confirmed infectious disease; depends on the timeline/information we have available to us.