AxB or ?

The last 2 weaks we have had 2 patients with the blodgroup AB, but with very weak expression of the A antigen. (pointing to A3 or Ax). In the serum they both had a strong anti A1, also reactive at 37oC, and at RT also reactive with A2 cells.

These patients have the same last name ( I think family, same region). After further looking we found 3 other (probably family members (name and region) we have had the last 8 years and al have the same A3B/AxB bloodgroup and a strong anti A1.

The B antigen is normal (not weakend, determind in titer).

Is it coinsidence that they all have also a B antigen, or is this more like a B(A), cisAB or something else?

Any sugestions?

Peter

Why would the anti-A1 react with A2 cells? Am I misunderstanding that from the original post?

Mabel, I think Peter's meaning is anti-A react with A2 cells.

I have seen Ax group has anti-A which react with A2 cells, but I have not seen subgroup has such strong antibodies which react at 37 degree C.

Shilly is right,

The term anti A1 is not completly correct. I should have said anti A.

I have the tendency to call these antibodies anti A1 because the person is group A (subgroep Ax or lower). In that case you can see a antbodies that is strong reactive with A1, weak reactve with the cells of the patient.