Computerized Antibody Identification programs

I have tried one of the first versions (almost 10 years ago) and was not very pleased with it. Maybe it is changed, but I do not know.

I am not a big fan of these computer programs, because it is the job of the MT to do the thinking and antibody identification is more then pos/neg (mostly gray, rule 5 of the golden rules). A computer program can never do the same as an experianced MT. This is from a reference lab point of view.

When you work in a smaller lab with a lot of generalists it can be a good adition.

One problem with this (and other programs that do the same) is that they sometimes give very rare solutions beside the first (very common) solution. That can make some MT's troubeld.

Peter

From Orthos website, it looks like the latest version is pretty useful (I am sure that there's no bias involved).

My understanding is that you buy the software, then you can download the panels as they are released. My turn-off a few years ago was that it appeared that all of that data had to be manually entered. Now it looks like you can even download it directly inot certain automated reading systems.

Anyone know the approximate cost for this? Is there a subscription fee? And can we get it for free if we threaten to switch to Immucore?

Thanks, Scott

We use AntibodyCheck software. It is a simple download that can use Ortho, Immucor, Medion, Quotient, and Bio-Rad. It works great for our small lab that consist of lots of generalists.

It does not identify antibodies, but rules out with 2 homozygous cells. It's inexpensive and the techs love it!

We are just implementing Rowny Antigen Plus. Same as the AntibodyCheck described above. You can download the panels, and set up your rule out rules, and it will tell you which cells you have in your inventory to use to rule out antibodies. It does NOT identify the antibody for you, so the techs still have to interpret the results.

Excellent points Peter; especially the last point. They can over complicate matters - and this coming from someone who always expects zebras, rather than horses, when hearing hoof beats, eh John????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking about Zebra's, have I mentioned the anti Emm that Bristol found in one of our patients. We have a compatibel sister also. The only problem I have with this result is that when you talk about it it sounds the same as "anti M". Then people look at you and say "Why have we send an anti M to Bristol?"

Talking about Zebra's, have I mentioned the anti Emm that Bristol found in one of our patients. We have a compatibel sister also. The only problem I have with this result is that when you talk about it it sounds the same as "anti M". Then people look at you and say "Why have we send an anti M to Bristol?"

No you didn't. That's really exciting.

We've only ever found one of those at our Centre, and it was just before I joined, so I've never seen a "live" one. Do either or both of yours have PNHIII?

I know what you mean about the terminology. They could have chosen a better name for the antigen!

Congratulations.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::eyepoppin:eyepoppin:eyepoppin:eyepoppin:eyepoppin