The Blood Group Antigens FactsBook.

Malcolm Needs

Hi All,

For those of you interested (like me!) and who are not yet aware of this, the third edition of this wonderful book has now been published.

Sorry Cliff, I'm not sure if I should have put this in the Adverts bit, but I am posting it as a "fan", rather than having anything to do with the book or the authors myself.

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Well, although I have only just ordered my own copy today, and so have not seen it yet, I do know that JRA and LAN are now Blood Group Systems, as is, I think, FORS (although I'm none too sure that this last one has yet been ratified by the ISBT.

In addition, the JMH BGS now has 6 antigens in it, and the Kell BGS now has a K37, so there are a lot of new bits.

Well, although I have only just ordered my own copy today, and so have not seen it yet, I do know that JRA and LAN are now Blood Group Systems, as is, I think, FORS (although I'm none too sure that this last one has yet been ratified by the ISBT.

In addition, the JMH BGS now has 6 antigens in it, and the Kell BGS now has a K37, so there are a lot of new bits.

FORS is a new system and antigen. Also RHAG is now a system. Martin Olsen is now co-author so I aspect more info on the Carbo-hydrate bloodgroups. The only problem is that is changed from orange to gray (harder to find on the bookshelf, just another reason to have in on your desk). We have ordered it but it is not in yet.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter. Yes, FORS stands for Forssmann. As I understand it, this is the first time that it has been found to be expressed on human red cells. My very good friend and colleague, Bob Stamps, has been working on it for years now, but it was only comparatively recently that someone in Scandinavia (I cannot remember their name, I am ashamed to say) did the PCR work on it and proved its existence.

Sorry Cliff, I'm not sure if I should have put this in the Adverts bit, but I am posting it as a "fan", rather than having anything to do with the book or the authors myself.

Perfectly fine.

As many of you may have been aware, this site used to publish most of the second edition. There seems to have been a little confusion as to whether or not I had permission to do so and that section of the site has been removed.

I am petitioning the publisher to officially allow it to be posted, let's keep our fingers crossed they'll allow the third edition to be posted.

Thanks for that Peter. Yes, FORS stands for Forssmann. As I understand it, this is the first time that it has been found to be expressed on human red cells. My very good friend and colleague, Bob Stamps, has been working on it for years now, but it was only comparatively recently that someone in Scandinavia (I cannot remember their name, I am ashamed to say) did the PCR work on it and proved its existence.

We also got our copy today. It almost 1 1/2 times the book it was, so there must be more info. The Forsman antigen was as antigen found on red cells, but know the genetic background is known. Now there is prove enough to call it a bloodgroup antigen and system.

Peter

PS I have found 2 little errors in the book at the first day, I hope that are the only ones.