Patient attributes

R1R2

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a HIS or LIS or combo that allows patient attributes, such as irradiated or CMV negative, file directly into the LIS Blood Bank administrative file (i.e. no manual entry by the BB)? Thanks in advance.

I have SoftBank (with Epic as my HIS). When a physician orders irradiated or CMV neg, it adds an "action" to the order so that the tech is sure to give that product. But if we want it attached to that patient permanently, the tech still has to go in and add that patient attribute in the admin file. Not sure if I would want that automatic since we have so many physicians that order these when not needed.

I have SoftBank (with Epic as my HIS). When a physician orders irradiated or CMV neg, it adds an "action" to the order so that the tech is sure to give that product. But if we want it attached to that patient permanently, the tech still has to go in and add that patient attribute in the admin file. Not sure if I would want that automatic since we have so many physicians that order these when not needed.

When we get IRR+ or CMV- orders , we get Pathologist review before it gets to patient permanent file.

The way your question is worded it sounds like you use Sunquest as does Tricore. Sunquest does not allow for this but I do know several sites have requested it. Personally, I would rather give irradiated blood to some one who does not need it than miss the attribute and give someone GVHD.

Hi Terri,

Can you explain more about this "action"?

R1R2

R1R2: in Epic, the physician can order irradiated, CMV Neg, or HgbS Neg for a unit. That order comes across the interface and adds it to the blood order in SoftBank. Once it is there, when selecting the unit the system alerts the tech if he/she selects a unit that does not have that attribute. The tech can still override it if needed. So if the physician orders it, we give it, but then review the medical record to see if it is indicated for the patient to always have that attribute. If so, we manually add it to their requirements so that it is always needed.