When to Use a Blood Warmer

We have 2 Hospitals and are merging into 1 new Hospital in about a year. With that in mind, both locations are starting to consolidate procedures. I received an e-mail from a Nurse at one location today, stating that one of the locations uses the blood warmer for ALL transfusions? I have never heard of that. So my questions are:

1. Do any of you work at Hospitals that do this?

2. Does anyone know of any "adverse" affects to this practice?

Thanks,

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

Ah, that's a good question! I will check into that. So then they are using it not "just" or "necessarily," for the blood warming aspects (although given that it is OR and those rooms are cold; that may very well be routine standard of practice), but also as part of their set-upf or other things?

Brenda

Does the Blood Warmer include an intergal pump? I have worked in 3 places now that OR uses warmer for all IV's including blood.

We have 2 Hospitals and are merging into 1 new Hospital in about a year. With that in mind, both locations are starting to consolidate procedures. I received an e-mail from a Nurse at one location today, stating that one of the locations uses the blood warmer for ALL transfusions? I have never heard of that. So my questions are:

Thanks,

We use blood warmer if cold auto reaction is 2+ and higher at RT reaction. Patient w/ rapid transfusion.

Transfusion in OR.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks,

We use blood warmer if cold auto reaction is 2+ and higher at RT reaction. Patient w/ rapid transfusion.

Transfusion in OR.

agree with brenda and i have seen that some time patient with the strong DAT like +4 having problem to find compatible XM or i can say on least incompatible transfusion the blood warmer is used for the safe side but as above for cold auto reaction it is used