A Sickle patient with weaker auto control

We have a Sickle patient with antibodies reactive with all panel cells but is weaker with the patient cells.

There has been multiple transfusions. After washing with 3% saline (to remove the donorcells) we performd a DAT and this was also positive indicating auto antibodies.

Has anyone seen such a weaker reaction with the patient cells in Sickle patients?

Peter

That is what I am afraid of. After transfusion the antibodies become stronger.

The antibody has Rh17 (like) specificity (non reactive with RhNull and -D- cells), but this is also common in AIHA.

We are now doing sequencing for RHCE to see if this patient is lacking a high frequent Rh antigen.

We have a Sickle patient with antibodies reactive with all panel cells but is weaker with the patient cells.

There has been multiple transfusions. After washing with 3% saline (to remove the donorcells) we performd a DAT and this was also positive indicating auto antibodies.

Has anyone seen such a weaker reaction with the patient cells in Sickle patients?

Peter

dear what method you used for DAT ?

Peter

It is an interestiong case.

I don't know if it can help you, just in case , I remember I have read a paper says sickle patient's cell size is abnormal, so if use gel to test it, it will cause false pos result.

I'd be very interested in the results that you obtain. Would you mind posting them here?

Peter: No problem, I hope the end of this day to have more info.

Hello Peter, did you get the results? and if so, I would love to know what they are.

Thank you

Liz

Malcolm/Liz and the others,

The DNA took a bit more time then I aspected, but I have the total of results.

She has 2 RHD allels, one normal and the other is a r's allel (expressing no RhD but a variant of C and VS). In the RHCE we now see only an ces (c, e and VS) allel and a normal ce.

The antibody was non reactive with Rh null and also not reactive with -D- so I was affraid of an anti Hr0-like antibody, but with the normal RHce allels there will not be an allo anti Hr0-like.

SO for now we have to stick with auto antibodies. But still strnage that the auto control is weaker.

Peter