Blood Type

Hi to all!

Can anyone please comment on the blood type with results below?

Forward typing shows a blood type "A" with 4+ reaction but reverse gave:

Test tube BT Known A - NEG

Known B - NEG

Since no agglutination seen, samples from the test tube were viewed under microscope (slide). Known A - Neg and Known B - Trace

When samples on slide were again viewed under microscope after 10 to 15 mins :

Known A - trace (with small aggregates) and known B - Trace

Hi Liz,

Actually the sample was already sent to a reference laboratory coz the center where the blood came from doesn't have the capacity/capability to troubleshoot this kind of discrepancy. But until now, no update from the refernce laboratory. Im not sure if the sample was test in gel.

kyle

Sounds like a chimera (the absence of anti B is nopt normal for a donor, for a patient it is seen more), where the brother or sister is B.

I am interested in the folow up.

Peter

It is also worth remembering that a "twin" brother or sister can be entirely adsorbed by the surviving twin in utero, so, if this donor has no existing twin, it may still be worthwhile performing a karyotype to see if they are a chimera.

How about an older patient/donor with a weak cold agglutinin. My matra has always been; rule out normal/common before going on a unicorn hunt. We really need more info.

I agree, in these kind cases first look to the age, but in this case it is a donor (so between 18 and 70), and a healty one also. So that is the reason for me to step over to the more unicorn.

Last friday we had a pregnant woman with a group O, with strong anti A and no anti B (also not at 16oC). Today we performed absorption elution with anti B (a positive result) and a minor-cell population test (also positive). These results suggested a Group O with B chimera.

Peter

:cries:

Hi to all!

Can anyone please comment on the blood type with results below?

Forward typing shows a blood type "A" with 4+ reaction but reverse gave:

Test tube BT Known A - NEG

Known B - NEG

Since no agglutination seen, samples from the test tube were viewed under microscope (slide). Known A - Neg and Known B - Trace

When samples on slide were again viewed under microscope after 10 to 15 mins :

Known A - trace (with small aggregates) and known B - Trace

As the individual is a donor so you have to go through adsorption elution.we have a case exactly like that of a donor in previous years and when we did adsorption elution we found that the donor group was AB.ok take care:o.Nisar

Edited by Nisar
just make it clear

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay of my update re: the BT of the donor. The reference lab has difficulty of identifying the real blood type of the donor. They would like to have a fresh sample from the donor but unfortunately, the donor did not put any contact no. in the donor sheet.

Anyway, thanks for all the feed backs I got from all of you. Greatly appreciated.

Kyle