patient with anti U

We now have a pregnant lady with anti U antibodies in her plasma, reactive at 1+/2+ in IAT with the adition of PEG.

On her cells the U antigen is absent also with sera containing anti U/GBP, but surprisingly on her cells is a normal expressed s antigen present (S is absent).

I know that S and s can be absent while U is (partly) present but in al samples that are lacking (a part of) U are all S- and s-.

The patient has a normal expression of Rh antigens.

Has anybody seen this?

Peter

This sounds like a little known phenotype that has been previously identified. The patient is most likely S-s+U-Dantu+. We found a donor with this phenotype not long ago. It was also described in Marion Reid's The Blood Group Antigen Facts Book.

YES, we got it.

The patient is Dantu positive! (just as the positive controle, thanks to the SCARF system).

Beside that the patient is M+ and N+. So I hope we can get RNA to sequence the hole GP genes.

I think that patient must be homozygous for this gene or has a Dantu gene and a U neg (or U var) gene.

Thanks again to JHH1999. If you were not that far away I would bring you a real dutch treat "stroop-wafels" (flat cookies with a thick sirup between).

Wow! Good call!

Thanks again to JHH1999. If you were not that far away I would bring you a real dutch treat "stroop-wafels" (flat cookies with a thick sirup between).

We can get them in Lidl here in the UK - amazing!! I like to put one over the top of my mug of hot chocolate so the caramel goes all gooey! Mmmmm going to have to go shopping at lunch as I can't wait till home time to eat one :( Thanks for that - please don't talk about sweet treats when there are women about ;)

Glad I could help. Now being in the reagent manufacturing world we get to see some strange things like this come up when trying to resolve customer problems with reagents. This just happened to be one we saw recently. Reminds me of old reference lab days.