CAP Gen 55500 Competency Assessment

DeeMc

Would anyone be willing to share their competency document in use? We are struggling with creating an adequate form to document competency using the new CAP criteria. Every way we look at it, the job of documenting every criteria for every test system for every employee is overwhelming. This is especially a challenge when all staff cross train to all departments - BB, Chemistry, Hematology, etc.

Also, has anyone been able to narrow down their "test systems"? We perform ABO/Rh, ABSC, DAT, Ag Testing, Electronic, IS, and AHG XM, ABID by tube, manual gel and Provue. So is one test system - ABO - or is one test system - Tube testing?

In your Blood Bank who performs the Direct Observation of employees to determine competency? Who is responsible for getting it completed in time - the employee or the Supervisor?

Sorry for all the questions. I am sure this is not as difficult as I am making it. I already have a pretty comprehensive competency checklist but it does not include the documentation of all the CAP criteria.

In my previous life as a manager, I used a spreadsheet for each lab section that had items on it like: run controls, run proficiency samples, direct observation, etc. As I do my job I would just document some of these items over time. As I was in the lab for any reason--I was always aware (observing) of what the techs were doing. You probably already track proficiency tests for each area so just transpose the info to the spreadsheet (better yet, tie the sheets to one another). Observation, about once a month I would complete the spreadsheet for who was working in each section--over the course of a year, it was complete.

• 2 months later...

We just finished finalizing our forms for this year. We have divided our Transfusion Service competency into test systems based on method. Our test systems are gel testing, tube testing, Hgb S solubility, elutions, and solid phase (we do Capture P screen). We don't do electronic crossmatches. We will also do an annual competency on component preparation and product issue, since these are important pieces of transfusion safety, even though the aren't really "test systems". I've attached our main form, which is the same one that will be used by other areas in the lab - Chemistry, Hem, etc.

This will take a lot of time and documentation, but hopefully we'll be able to accurately assess everyone's competency while pleasing inspectors :P[ATTACH]606[/ATTACH]