Sample age

galvania

Dear all

we are trying to do some comparisons and I need some information

Can you please tell me :

1. What is the maximum age of a patient blood sample that you would use for performing

a) a blood group

B) an antibody screen

c) a DAT

d) an extended phenotype

e) an identification

2. How long after testing do you keep your sample; in what form (whole blood, plasma/serum) and at what temperature and why?

I know that's a lot, but this information will be really helpful

Thanks

Anna

1. a) Three days

B) three days

c) up to 14 days for a pretransfusion sample in a reaction workup.

d) not performed at our facility

e) not performed at our facility

2. We maintain our samples for 14 days after testing separated into red cells and plasma (a bit old school but being examined), refrigerated. The time line is to be sure we cover the AABB standard:

5.11.4 Retention of Blood Samples

Patient samples and a segment from any red-cell-containing componentshall be stored at refrigerated temperatures for at least 7 days

after transfusion.

14 days ensures we have complied and makes it easier to discard specimens.

On whole blood

Blood group - 7 days

Antibody screen - 7 days

DCT - 24 hours

Sample are fridged at 2-8oC

It used to be that if the patient is preop and has no transfusion before the op a group and screen is done and the plasma frozen at -30 for xm immediately pre or during surgery. The sample was valid for up to 30 days. I removed this as IMO it eliminates the second check that you get from an admission sample. We now get a sample at the preop clinic (up to 30 days before surgery) and immediately on admission. This allows for 2 separate groups with elective surgery reducing error.

The 30 day 'rule' for antibody screens is still acceptable though in the UK according to the MHRA and BBT.