Plasma Thawing Times?

BBDW

My hospital is planning to purchase a new plasma thawing system in the near future. We are looking specifically at the Helmer QuickThaw DH4. If anyone has one of these units or the similar DH2 or DH8, I would like to know what your "real world" thawing times are for 2 average sized units of plasma stored at -30 degrees C. Helmer's literature states a median thawing time of 10-18 minutes depending on the size and configuration of the bag. A relatively short thawing time would go a long way to convince our administration to allow us to order this unit. We are also trying to minimize our plasma expiration rate and a shorter thaw time may convince our physicians to order only when plasma is to be actually transfused and not if they "may" need it in a hurry later!

If anyone uses a different device that has a shorter thawing time please let me know this as well (I don't think they would go for a microwave! icon7.png ).

We have the DH8 and our thaw times are about 10 minutes for 200ml and 16 minutes for 300ml. I can't remember the last time we had to use 18 minutes for a bag of FFP.

Cryoprecipitate thaws very quickly.

We love our DH8 and are hoping for a second one this budget year!

We have teh DH4---love it.

routine maintence can be done by our lab assistants-easily.

calibration instructions are a little challenge--

thaws the plasma or cryo very quickly,safely and---raises the product so show it is done so our techs can see it across the lab.

Have had the Helmer here for about 7 or 8 years. All of the above comments reflect my experience. One repair has been necessary. One of the elevator cables that raises the unit "cage" mechanism kinked and had to be replaced. Took the biomed tech about 10 minutes once the part arrived and did not have any effect on the other elevator, so we were never completely down. Has been a very good piece of equipment.

We have a Helmer DH8 and it's wonderful. Our times are about the same as everybody else. This thing is a workhorse, hardly ever down and the alarm that beeps when the plasma is done is loud enough for people working outside the BB to hear it.

We have had a DH4 for 10 years (?) and use a 14 minute thaw time. The only repair has been to replace the drain coupler. The paint is starting to chip off the baskets, but we clean it weekly and remove the chips if we see them. There are plastic "security snaps" which hold the units underwater. They break from time to time but Helmer is good about sending free replacements. We had an apparent bad batch of overlay bags, many of which leaked. Helmer immediately investigated the problem and sent replacements. Great product, great company, great service.

We have a DH8, our FFP is frozen with top end folded, the flat frozen ones thaw faster. When thawing 4 at a time the units less than 300ml take about 18 to 20min. >300ml will take 20-25min, just depends on thickness of unit. I just wished the overwrap bags were a little better quality.