King Henry VIII

Good job Malcolm! I especially liked the part about scaring all of the Kell positive people into thinking they would become overweight tyrants who could not produce children.

I don't know why they are chasing something other than syphillis as a cause for all of this, unless they do not believe that Henry had syphillis. It is absolutely possible that a venereal disease could cause many of the woes in this story. I thought that Henry also suffered from gout? That could certainly cause someone to be cranky...

I thought that Henry also suffered from gout? That could certainly cause someone to be cranky...

I'm sure you are correct, but I am doing a scientific experiment on that, and have been doing so for several years now, by being selfless enough to drink as much vintage port as possible to prove or disprove the theory!

I wonder if getting cranky about this newspaper article is the first signs that the experiment is working, and that your assumption is quite right??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Hmmm...are you having any other symptoms yet? Perhaps port was not Henry's vice of choice? You may want to add fatty foods to increase your chances of success in your experiment...

You are certainly lined up with many great researchers in selflessly experimenting with your own body!

Ironically, (or maybe not ironically) I got a request from one of our hematologists last week to test his patient for the McLeod phenotype. :rolleyes:

Were there any symptoms to justify this? The reason I ask is that, with the modern monoclonal antibodies, the McLeod phenotype is sometimes not as easy to see as it used to be when we were using human-derived polyclonal antibodies. You can sometimes only detect it by titration of the monoclonal antibody using a known "normal" as a control, because the monoclonal antibodies are so strong when used neat.

Hmmm...are you having any other symptoms yet? Perhaps port was not Henry's vice of choice? You may want to add fatty foods to increase your chances of success in your experiment...

You are certainly lined up with many great researchers in selflessly experimenting with your own body!

A worthy endeavor - let us know how it turns out.

Were there any symptoms to justify this? The reason I ask is that, with the modern monoclonal antibodies, the McLeod phenotype is sometimes not as easy to see as it used to be when we were using human-derived polyclonal antibodies. You can sometimes only detect it by titration of the monoclonal antibody using a known "normal" as a control, because the monoclonal antibodies are so strong when used neat.

I don't think the history is very convincing. He has neuropathy and an elevated CK, but he also has diabetes and hypertension. I was told he had acanthocytes, but when I looked at the smear, it took me a while to find anything I'd even consider calling an acanthocyte, and it certainly wasn't a textbook appearance. Titration is not a bad idea though; we might try that anyway. Unsurprisingly he typed as K-k+ and we so rarely use our anti-k antisera that I wouldn't feel too guilty about using some more.

There were three living children: Mary (of Catherine of Aragon), Elizabeth (of Anne Boleyn), and Edward (of Jane Seymour). Henry also had at least one illegitimate child. Catherine had a stillbirth (first pregnancy), two live births (died after a couple of months), and a miscarriage before Mary was born. Anne had a couple of still births or miscarriages after Elizabeth was born. Jane only had the one pregnancy. None of the other three queens had any reported pregnancies by Henry.