newborn transfusion

eltonsey

Yes up to 4 month,

At first order:

ABO and Rh, antibody screen, cord DCT and if no unexpected results O Rh compatible red cells for 4 months without further testing.

Yes, actually, under these circumstances, we would do the same.

I'm sorry, in my earlier post, I was assuming that the mother had an antibody. Working in a Reference Laboratory, I sometimes forget that not every patient and every mother has an antibody!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everbody

I hope you are all well

Can you please tell me the policy for transfusion of PRBCs for neonates i mean in crossmatch

Thanks

We set up the neonate with less then 7 days old Group 'O' Rh compatible leukoreduced, CMV Negative, Sickle Negative red cells after the initial neonatal type and screen up to the age of 4 months from the date of birth. We use aliquots from the unit till it expires or gets used up and irradiate upon issaunce.

If non group 'O' directed red cell unit, then gel crossmatch compatible with neonatal plasma.

We set up the neonate with less then 7 days old Group 'O' Rh compatible leukoreduced, CMV Negative, Sickle Negative red cells after the initial neonatal type and screen up to the age of 4 months from the date of birth. We use aliquots from the unit till it expires or gets used up and irradiate upon issaunce.

If non group 'O' directed red cell unit, then gel crossmatch compatible with neonatal plasma.

For product selection, this the best criteria whereas we miss some testing and use less than 5 days old red cells. I hope we shall add these tests soon