Complement Check Cells

Gkloc

Does anyone else here use Immucor's Complement Check Cells? If so is anyone having a problem with them? And is there any other company that makes these cells that anyone is using? We've been having a problem getting them to come up positive for awhile, at least macroscopically, sometimes they are really weak or we have to look at them under a scope. Thanks for any help

I figured as much I just wanted to see if everyone else who was using them was having the same issues. Sometimes it'll be a weak 1+ and sometimes it's not even a very strong weak reaction if that. We incubate the tubes for 5 minutes also but that still doesn't seem to help sometimes even. Thanks for the feedback

The product insert says "NOTE: Agglutination by anti-complement is seldom as strong as that customarily seen with anti-IgG and is more readily dispersed." The insert also goes on the say that reactivity will diminish over the dating period of the reagent. They aren't kidding. It sticks in my mind that I read, or was told, that the expected reactivity is 1-2+. It may have been in an old product insert or from a conversation with tech support at Immucor ... just can't remember. Gently shaking is the key - for patient tests, too. You might also find it helpful to switch to the new lot of Comp Control Cells as soon as they come in, instead of waiting for outdate of your current lot. We have quite good luck with fresh lots - often 3+, if shaken nicely.

I use these cells as a tool to check the 'shaking' habits of techs and students. I have convinced even the most persistant vortexers that it does make a difference in what they see.

We also have the same issues. We keep the cells in the refrigerator when not in use. I also split my monthly shipment receiving 2 vials in one shipment and then 1 vial in a second shipment 2 weeks later, trying to have fresher reagent in use. Quotient is working on a C3 check cell prep kit that will allow you to make your own in house, which should be much stronger since the 28 day expiration will start there instead of at the manufacturing facility.

Looking foward to whenever that is ready for release.

I don't believe any one else manufactures Complement Check Cells. Using tubes, I always had to struggle to get them to react 1+. I use them in gel now - always 4+.

Are you using Ortho Gel cards? I could swear that the Ortho rep giving a demo last month told us that they don't have a complement card for DATs in gel? I thought that they only had polyspecific and AHG cards. I thought the rep said at her old hospital, when doing a DAT, they sent out the test if the doctor wanted the complement component by itself.

We have the same problem with very weak results. Our solution has been get our standing order every 2 weeks from the supplier instead of once a month. The fresh lot # works in the instances we can't get the first lot # to agglutinate.. Talk about a marketing ploy !!

YES - but I use the buffered gel card with 50uL cells (0.8%) and 25uL anti-C3b,-C3d. I also run the pt cells with diluent, just to make certain I am not seeing any non-specific agglutination. I don't do enough DATs to justify the anti-Comp cards (there are anti-Compl cards available if Ortho doesn't have them, but not for use in the US - yet).

Are you using Ortho Gel cards? I could swear that the Ortho rep giving a demo last month told us that they don't have a complement card for DATs in gel? I thought that they only had polyspecific and AHG cards. I thought the rep said at her old hospital, when doing a DAT, they sent out the test if the doctor wanted the complement component by itself.
Edited by David Saikin
more info added