Trm31450

BloodBank

Would anyone using ProVue Gel technology has SOP to share for the TRM "If laboratory uses more than one instrument/method to test for a given analyte, are the instruments/methods checked against each other at least twice a year for correlation of results"?

We do run tube ABO/Rh, manual gel antibody screen for stat samples and tube panel for Gel all cells positive (warm auto). How could you correlate gel positive, tube negative or weak?

Would anyone using ProVue Gel technology has SOP to share for the TRM "If laboratory uses more than one instrument/method to test for a given analyte, are the instruments/methods checked against each other at least twice a year for correlation of results"?

We do run tube ABO/Rh, manual gel antibody screen for stat samples and tube panel for Gel all cells positive (warm auto). How could you correlate gel positive, tube negative or weak?

You cannot do so. The sensitivity of the technologies are quite different; and if the inspectors don't know that, they shouldn't be inspectors.

:(:(:(:(:(

This question really does not apply to testing in blood bank. (I think there was already a thread about this earlier).

Hopefully the CAP will come to understand that and either eliminate it or modify it so that it does make sense. In the meantime, I would suggest that you either test representative samples twice a year that will correlate on a grand scale (both positive or negative) or write into the procedure or the review that they were not expected to correlate at that strength. Personally, I prefer the former to the latter since it involves less explanation.

We are using CAP survey samples. I have not been inspected on it yet, so I cannot make any statement about how it will be received.

I already called CAP regarding this and was told to same as in previous post. Run samples twice a year and document corelation and if sample doesn't match due to sensitivity just explain. Eg. if you tube method panel is negative run same specimen by gel using same reagent (make 0.8%) and prove that gel is more sensitive and explain. CAP says it's up to your director to decide this , you need to have some kind of corelation atleast twice a year.

I also called CAP and they told me the same. Using CAP proficiency sample is a good idea. One does not have to come up with patient sample then. Also you do get three times a year JA samples or JAT samples for that matter.

I called CAP and they said it is acceptable to use CAP samples for correlations. These are always strong enough that you shouldn't have a problem between methodologies. Otherwise you will just have to document that agreement was not expected. I agree, this requirement does not make sense for Blood banks.