Just For Fun--Blood Bank Quiz Game!

LisaM

Since you haven't had any guesses in a while, I will take a stab and say Ruth Sanger. She always seemed to be one to play with the substances (of course, I don't know if she did any of the lectures...so that might make it Robert Race who actually gave the lecture...but I'd be willing to bet that Ruth was the one who thought up the milk angle!)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there hasn't been much activity here of late, I'll give the answer: W. Laurence Marsh. The hint about Applied Blood Group Serology was that half of the initial references from the Ii chapter were from Marsh.

You may know that there was intense, sometimes bitter rivalry between some of the researchers of the era. In that lecture Marsh went on to tell a story of a patient of Al Wiener's who must have been an adult i with a potent anti-I. They could not find compatible blood for the patient. Cow's blood, however, was serologically compatible, so they went and gave the patient some. The patient had a nasty reaction. Interspecies difficulties aside, it turned out that bovine blood is actually rich in I antigen, but there's something about cow erythrocytes that makes it difficult to get them to agglutinate. Or so the story went. The interesting thing was the apparent satisfaction Marsh took in relating it....

So maybe this fun thread is dying a natural death (unaided by cow blood transfusions) but if anyone feels like continuing, what antigens are destroyed by trypsin but are relatively unaffected by the more commonly used ficin and papain?

Forgot my question:

What is used to neutralize Sda antibodies???

Human urine is okay, but guinea-pig urine is even better. Collecting the guinea-pig urine is the problem!

There is a high-incidence antigen within the 901 series. About half of those found to be negative for the antigen are Japanese.

What is this antigen?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ok, let's have some fun and test our knowledge at the same time! I'll leave a blood bank question, and the next person to come along has to answer it then leave a question for the next person in their post, and so on.

Here's the first one:

What complement component is associated with the Chido-Rodgers antigen system?

C4d is associated with Chido-Rogers system

Next question:

What blood group system is associated with the Urea transport system and the what is the null group that can be found in the people of the Polynesian decent?

hi my guess is the Kidd blood group system, Jka-,Jkb-.

not sure though!

That is the correct answer tricia47, but be careful when you read the frequency of the Jk(a-b-) phenotype in the Polynesian population. According to Peter Issitt and Dave Anstee in Applied Blood Group Serology (4th edition, 1998, Montgomery SCientific Publications), the numbers are wrong, as the original authors did not take into account blood relations when they did their population statistics.

Now then, who is going to answer my question set in post 160?

:):):confused::confused::):)

Edited by Malcolm Needs
Couldn't remember the post number - advanced senility!

Human urine is okay, but guinea-pig urine is even better. Collecting the guinea-pig urine is the problem!

There is a high-incidence antigen within the 901 series. About half of those found to be negative for the antigen are Japanese.

What is this antigen?

Is it Antigen Jra? (Not sure of the answer)

Q. What is elevated in Pre term infants: PT or PTT?

what condition, showing autosomal dominant inheritance, is associated with the addition of a N-acetylgalactosamine moiety to the alkali-labile tetrasaccharide of Thomas and Winzler? this trait is associated with an increased resistance to red cell invasion by Plasmodium falciparum merozoities. the antigen is an inhibitor of anti-Sd(a).

To be perfectly honest with you, I haven't got a clue about the answer to this one!

Is it something to do with the Tamm-Horsfall protein?

To be perfectly honest with you, I haven't got a clue about the answer to this one!

Is it something to do with the Tamm-Horsfall protein?

honestly i'm unsure of a relationship with Tamm-Horsfall protein but there is likely similar structures between them. This phenomenon was first described by Cazal, et al. in 1968. Sanger, et al. in 1971 showed that these cells were agglutinable by anti-Sd(a). these red cells accumulate abnormal glycophorin O-glycans and the condition has been likened to an over expression of Sd(a). here's the biggest hint, most normal adult adult sera contain anti-Sd(a) and will agglutinate these RBCs. these RBCs are agglutinable by the following lectins: Glycine soja, Dolichos biflorus, Salvia horminum, and Leonurus cardiaca.

i need to write better questions, i'm rusty since i don't teach anymore (well, i don't get to torture undergraduates anymore).

Edited by BrianD
apologies for vague, poorly constructed question.

Ah, are you talking about Cad then?

I remember once, when I was very young, grouping some O red cells and being very offended when they agglutinated in Dolichos biflorus!

yep, Cad polyagglutination!!!! i've never dealt with Cad but have encountered a microbially mediated PA involving necrotizing enterocolitis.