Just For Fun--Blood Bank Quiz Game!

LisaM

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, nobody has asked a question for a while, and so I'll ask a two part question.

What is the latest described Kell antigen, and what has is got to do with seaweed?

:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

I am slain!! I’m aware of no new Kell system antigens after KUCI, KANT, and KASH. I resorted to some googly-ness (is this cheating?!?!) and all I found was an interesting if a bit odd paper detailing the use of immunocytochemistries to elucidate the synthesis and distribution of l- and k- carrageenans in seaweeds. The authors called their anti-k-carrageenan ab “anti-K.”

:confused::confused::cries::cries::confused::confused:

this question after bombing my Donor Center Operations exam. oy.

:shakefist:shakefist

:surrender:surrender:surrender:surrender:surrender

i will now spend the rest of the day contemplating running away and becoming a librarian.

Edited by BrianD

LOL, devilish question aside, i don't think you'll be called "The Tooting Meadow Torquemada" anytime soon. This is a good one tho'. i'm thinking i might use this question on my assessment test for the new clinical students......a well constructed test MUST have a question that only 1 in 100 students would have a chance of answering. heh heh. tho' if my last crop of them are any indication this question will fall into the 1 in 10,000 interval.

Right then, the answer is K35, and its trivial name is KELP (hence the comment about seaweed - sorry, my warped sense of humour)!

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

The latest Cromer antigen has the trivial name CROZ.

Why?????????

:plotting::plotting::plotting::plotting::plotting:

prolly because ZENA and CRAM were already taken LOL

'tis a pity, that. LOL i think blood group serologists want to have as much fun naming things as the fruit fly geneticists did naming the genes they were studying : teashirt, tinman( embryos lack a heart), dreadlocks, cheapdate, lush,Van Gogh (wings have swirly hair patterns), grim reaper, Cleopatra (mutant protein interacts with a protein called Asp and the interaction is lethal), Hamlet(controls the development of the IIb cells in the embryo), gypsy, decapentaplegic, mothers-against-decapentaplegic, daughters-against-decapentaplegic, frizzled, frazzled, Seven-less, Bride-of-Sevenless. it goes on and on. unfortunately, similar mutations have been found in in humans and are associated with awful diseases.

You are going along the right lines with the fact that the people who named this have a sense of humour.

i think a sense of humor is vital and think an addition that would benefit any clinical training curriculum is something geared toward the development of good humor. i loved how my nurse was baffled when i was checked in for radiation therapy and when completing the questionnaire, my response to "why are you here, today?" was "my hedgehog has gone wonky."

i think a sense of humor is vital and think an addition that would benefit any clinical training curriculum is something geared toward the development of good humor. i loved how my nurse was baffled when i was checked in for radiation therapy and when completing the questionnaire, my response to "why are you here, today?" was "my hedgehog has gone wonky."

LOVE IT!

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Yes, it is a bit of an evil question (hence the devil smilies at the end).

I'm just finishing an on-call duty, then I've got to cook breakfast for the family, wash-up and go to the supermarket for the weekly shop - and then I'll put you out of your misery!!!!!!!!!!

:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

What! You have to do all that?! Goodness.

here's an easy-peasy question to keep the ball rolling:

what is the reason the HLA haplotype: A1,B8,DRB1*0301 is believed to be resistant to recombination AND which blood group antigen cannot be expressed from this particular haplotype.

here's an easy-peasy question to keep the ball rolling:

what is the reason the HLA haplotype: A1,B8,DRB1*0301 is believed to be resistant to recombination AND which blood group antigen cannot be expressed from this particular haplotype.

So easy-peasy that I haven't got a clue!!!!!!!!

I presume that it has something to do with Ch/Rg as the HLA genes are on Chromosome 6, but that is all I can say?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

By the way, CROZ was so-called because the propositus came from Australia!

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: