Question for Rhophylac users.

dcubed

Not at our facility. The only situation a physician requested the product be used IV was for a sizable bleed (6 vials of rhophylac to neutralize). Other than that the dose is given IM at 28 weeks and post. Have not really had a push to change the protocol that has been in place for many years with rhogam. What advantage would you hope to see in an IV administration vs an IM admin? Both are going to require some sort of invasive technique. Most patients are much more accepting of an injection than the idea of an IV start. Inquiring minds want to know! :confused::D

Deny, previous posts about Rhophylac make the suggestion that a selling point of Rhophylac is that it can be given by IV, thereby avoiding the "trauma" of an IM injection. My post was a feeble attempt of ironic humor (humor is allowed on this site, I hope?). If an IV is in place I to would want to avoid an IM, but no I would not see the benefit of starting an IV just to avoid an IM injection.

My fault! :o I was busy when I replied and did not absorb the humor. Yes humor is allowed and mandatory to maintain sanity most days. :rolleyes: I always try to approach questions as serious until proven otherwise as I try not to offend others with replies. With all levels of users here any question could be serious and legit. I must admit I wondered at the sanity of starting an IV to administer the RhIg, but have heard of (and have) stranger policies. :eek: