Archived Galileo results

Moncada

We currently archive the data off our Galileos every two weeks. How long are people keeping these discs? Since all the patient data is transferred to the LIS, I'm not concerned about that. But since each run has a positive and negative control for the antibody screen, would this be considered "QC" with a 5 year retention requirement? :)Anybody?

We currently archive the data off our Galileos every two weeks. How long are people keeping these discs? Since all the patient data is transferred to the LIS, I'm not concerned about that. But since each run has a positive and negative control for the antibody screen, would this be considered "QC" with a 5 year retention requirement? :)Anybody?

In the UK, we have to keep these records for at least 30 years! Can you imagine trying to go along the audit trail for that, together with the changes in techniques, technologies, reagents, etc, not to mention staff!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

In the UK, we have to keep these records for at least 30 years! Can you imagine trying to go along the audit trail for that, together with the changes in techniques, technologies, reagents, etc, not to mention staff!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

It does seem that there is a higher interest in historical archiving on that side of the pond. Where do you keep all that stuff?

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bring up such an old thread.

All of our patient records are saved in the LIS, but QC records were not. We have been DVD archiving every week for the past five years to cover this.

We are currently switching from a Galileo to a Neo.  We were caught off guard when the Immucor tech said that we would not be able to open our archive disks without renting the old Galileo PC from them (until we can discard the QC records). This is something we do not want to do, so we have been going back and printing them up. This is a long process that uses a lot of paper and space, but we see no other viable option at this time. The Neo does not open the Galileo archive disks. So far, we have not found a way to read comprehendible results on a regular PC.

I guess this is just something we overlooked and took for granted. I just wanted to post this so other labs do not get caught in the same trap. We will be trying to incorporate the QC results for the NEO into our LIS in the future, or at least printing them out as we go. We also have an Echo this is an issue with as well.

Does anyone else have it set up so they can export QC right into their LIS?  If not we will probably manually enter QC values into the LIS every QC run.  We currently have Safetrace Wyndgate.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread.

All of our patient records are saved in the LIS, but QC records were not. We have been DVD archiving every week for the past five years to cover this.

We are currently switching from a Galileo to a Neo.  We were caught off guard when the Immucor tech said that we would not be able to open our archive disks without renting the old Galileo PC from them (until we can discard the QC records). This is something we do not want to do, so we have been going back and printing them up. This is a long process that uses a lot of paper and space, but we see no other viable option at this time. The Neo does not open the Galileo archive disks. So far, we have not found a way to read comprehendible results on a regular PC....

I've wondered about that very problem. Currently we print a copy of our QC and all patient results and scan it into our facility's data storage system. (We don't have a BB information system  :wacko: .) We also keep the discs for 5 years. I am hoping that we can dump the paper when and if we get a BB system. I'll keep this in mind.

• 4 weeks later...

To circumvent this issue we use a weekly paper QC log.

It lists all the reagents/days they are in use.

There's a checkbox for the technologist performing QC to initial that they've visually inspected all the reagents and found them acceptable for use prior to running QC.

After QC testing has completed there's a checkbox where the technologist initials indicating they have reviewed the daily run of QC and found it to be acceptable.

There's a last checkbox for a second technologist to confirm the acceptability of QC (on next shift for solo shifts).

Much easier than finding a way of storing/being able to retrieve stored data we can't interpret without the ProVue software or the 3000+ sheets of paper/year that would need to be stored/retrievable if we were printing hard copies.

This is just for the ProVue.

Edited by goodchild