Blood Type cards for patients?

ffriesen

Yes we do, but only for those with significant antibodies. The reasoning behind this is to help "me" out in the future when they come in again, or go to any other facility for transfusion. It helps if you know what you are dealing with before you actually have to deal with it.:D

Just as a matter of interest, would you (and others) not also find it useful for clinically insignificant atypical alloantibodies that cause many serological problems, both in identification and cross-matching, such as anti-Ch, anti-Rg, anti-Kna, anti-McCa, etc???

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Oh, yes we would. Of course you want to know what clinically significant antibodies the patient has (or has a history of), but I think it is very helpful to know anything else that the patient has (ie: clinically insignificant antibodies, cold autoantibodies, or even "garbage".) It is helpful to know this "unimportant" information so you can complete an adequate workup in a more timely manner (since you have a better idea of what you are probably dealing with.)

Just as a matter of interest, would you (and others) not also find it useful for clinically insignificant atypical alloantibodies that cause many serological problems, both in identification and cross-matching, such as anti-Ch, anti-Rg, anti-Kna, anti-McCa, etc???

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I see the error of my ways. We issue cards for all antibodies not just the big ones (E,C,e,c,K, etc.) because any and all could cause us trouble.:rolleyes: