Quality Policies

RR1

Is there any specific reference that indicates exactly what a quality policy must contain? Some places have such long winded policies I don't suppose any member of staff actually knows what it's about.

What is the exact purpose of a quality policy?

Why can't this be a couple of lines long?

Thanks!

The AABB Technical Manual gives an outline on what should be included, as well as the purpose.

Good luck with the "couple lines long" part. I tried to keep my Quality Plan concise, but it ended up being 11 pages long. I had my staff review it annually, but had quite a few eyes rolled at me.

:rolleyes:

Thanks Terri, aren't folks meant to be able to recite their quality policy...or am I getting this mixed up with the 'mission statement', and if so ...where does this statement belong?

Our current Q.P is one page long with about 14 lines, but as this was a shared department thing doesn't include any of the transfusion specific regs or goals

The quality policy could not be condensed to a couple of lines because there are too many areas that must be addressed. You could probably get away with a couple of lines per area if you were quite precise and put the details in the process or procedure. Rashmi, I think you are looking for the mission statement or the overarching quality statement that says "We do good work here." Several industries have done just that with their mottos: "Quality is job #1." "Quality is everyone's business."

With apologies to Nike, how about "Just do it right"?

Rashmi, you are allowed to use the CPA quality policy, it is acceptable to MHRA, I have a separate quality manual for transfusion, to fulfil MHRA but, I refer to the pathologywide quality manual which has the pathology wide quality policy.

I think there may be some confusion about the quality Policy vs the Quality manual from some of our colleagues above, The Quality Policy should be short and sweet mission statements, no expansion necessary that comes in the quality manual.

So here it is, and we can just about get it to fit onto a single side of A4.

A3 Quality policy

A quality policy provides the basis for running a laboratory in a manner that will fulfil the needs and requirements of its users.

A 3.1 Laboratory management shall establish a quality policy [NOTE 1] that includes the following:

a) the scope of the service the laboratory intends to provide

B) a statement of the laboratory's intention with respect to the standard of services, including a commitment to meet the needs and requirements of users

c) a statement of the purpose of the quality management system (A4) including a commitment to set quality objectives (A5) and to achieve continual quality improvement (H6)

d) a requirement that personnel are familiar with the contents of the quality manual and all procedures relevant to their work

e) a commitment to good professional practice

f) a commitment to the health, safety and welfare of all staff and visitors to the laboratory

g) a commitment to comply with relevant environmental legislation

h) a commitment to continuing compliance with CPA(UK)Ltd accreditation standards.

A 3.2 Laboratory management shall ensure that the quality policy is:

a) signed and issued by a person with appropriate authority

B) communicated, understood, available and implemented throughout the laboratory

c) reviewed for suitability and effectiveness at the annual management review (A11).

NOTES

1 Where the laboratory is part of a larger organisation its quality policy should be consistent with other policies in the organisation.

CROSS REFERENCES

• ISO 15189:2007 4.2 Quality management system

What...not even a teeny weeny bit Malcolm???? :giggle:

No. I fully accept that a good Quality System is vital, and a poor Quality System can be worse than having no Quality System at all.

That notwithstanding,

"Quality" and "Fun" are the definition of antonyms and "Quality" and "Utter Boredom" are synonyms in my dictionary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

"Quality" and "Fun" are the definition of antonyms and "Quality" and "Utter Boredom" are synonyms in my dictionary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Malcolm what does that make me then?? Cos I actually find quality stuff FUN :P Admittedly some of the Quality stuff can be tedious, but I try my best to make it as painless as possible to many people. and even a little bit interesting too!!;)

So Malcolm what does that make me then?? Cos I actually find quality stuff FUN :P Admittedly some of the Quality stuff can be tedious, but I try my best to make it as painless as possible to many people. and even a little bit interesting too!!;)

What that makes you bmsjbatt is the salt of the Earth. The key to this thought is the phrase after the word "but", because, unlike me, at least you (and Rashmi) try!

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

Our staff are growing so weary with workloads and trying to keep up with changes that they see quality as a 'dirty' word just invented to make their lives hell, when in the long term if performed properly (with fun), this will ease and streamline every lab function.

There are places that are not 'doing quality' using lean- six sigma principles and correct tools. It's the responsibility of ALL transfusion manager, senior staff and quality people to introduce and develop these concepts, or we will just turn our staff away from this all.

Lean/ Six Sigma Quality = FUN