A new term for HTLA - LOUD

Hi All,

I am writing a technical piece on HTLAs. This document is a technical bulletin to be used predominantly in Asia.

When discussing how to flow such a document and capture the new thinking on what HTLAs are we became aware of how inconstant we are being saying that the serological reactions we see as HTLA antibodies are not caused by an attribute of the antibody but are due to the characteristics of the antigens. So they may be high titre but they are not low avidity. The HTLA name no longer fits our thinking.

My colleague came up with a new acronym that I really like. I seek you thoughts and input on using this acronym. We propose to use an unofficial name to describe this group of antigens where we see HTLA like antibodies (Knops CH/RG etc).

LOUD (antigens of Low Or Unknown Density). HTLAs become anti-LOUD antibodies.

What do you think?

:rofl:ROFL

My crew would really like this change. It goes right along with our CRASP (Coombs Reactive Antibodies by Solid Phase method only) We thought about calling it CRAP, but decided that would be perceived as less professional. Some of the management here is overly concerned with appearances.

• 2 months later...
:rofl:ROFL

My crew would really like this change. It goes right along with our CRASP (Coombs Reactive Antibodies by Solid Phase method only) We thought about calling it CRAP, but decided that would be perceived as less professional. Some of the management here is overly concerned with appearances.

Personally, I prefer CRAP...hahaha. We refer to such antibodies as "TWID". ie. too weak to id.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Whenever I have sporadic weak reactions and have ruled out all clinically significant allo-antibodies, I tell my folks it looks like Anti-CRAP to me. Since you can't perform antigen typing (the reagent is much too expensive -ha, ha) crossmatch compatible will do. The tech who first heard the term thought I was serious - she had never heard of it!!! We Can't Really Afford to Play with it all day.

:wave::wave::haha::giggle::haha:

I worked many years ago in a hospital that serviced many dialysis patients. They seem to not infrequently have this "Crap" phenomenon. After unsuccessfully identifying why multitudes of times, we started using the term "Anti-Dialysis" to describe what we were finding.

Whenever I have sporadic weak reactions and have ruled out all clinically significant allo-antibodies, I tell my folks it looks like Anti-CRAP to me. Since you can't perform antigen typing (the reagent is much too expensive -ha, ha) crossmatch compatible will do. The tech who first heard the term thought I was serious - she had never heard of it!!! We Can't Really Afford to Play with it all day.

:wave::wave::haha::giggle::haha:

KKidd,

I'm still laughing! Thank you.:):):):)

I am fond of a few new antibody terms that have been mentioned on this site (both submitted by someone wittier than me, I am definitely not taking credit for either of these):

Cold-Reactive Agglutination Phenomenon

and

Serum Hemagglutinin of Ideterminate Type

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...