Staff Development

RR1

As a BBM and Quality officer I have had to do a lot of learning to deal with implementing Q.S practices into my job than ever before. This does involve me spending quite a substantial amount of time at home researching/ reading around the subject, as a lot of folk do.

However, when I have suggested to some of my staff that they need to be upto scratch with regulations and current transfusion literature, by reading and developing themselves at home, I don't get a very positive response from. Time being the major factor.

I am trying to implement some protected time each month, for each of them during work hours, but I do feel strongly that everyone should spend some of their own time doing this.

Am I being unrealistic ?

:confused:

Rashmi -

Unfortunately, you probably are being unrealistic. (Sad, huh?)

I don't know if there is much difference in the "work culture" (for lack of a better term) in the U.K. vs the U.S.A., but my observation is that employees are much less "self-motivated" or willing to invest their personal time to career-related activities than they were 20 or 30 years ago. There's an occassional eager "go-getter" that will do some research on a particular topic that catches their interest or because they volunteered to do a special project, but it seems that most "clock out" at the end of the day to go home to a full plate of other activities, responsibilities, or interests.

I have to admit, I share your feeling that everyone should spend some of their own time investing in their professional development and knowledge. But can we "expect" it of them? My experience tells me "No."

Edited by L106
Typo

I half agree with L106, and half don't (what does that mean??????)

In the UK, as I'm sure is true in many, many other countries, for a Biomedical Scientist to retain Registration they have to show that they are undertaking Continuing Professional Development. For them so to do, I firmly believe that they should be given some time ( and, if necessary) some finance during their employment to undertake studying and attending conferences, but, I also think that they should be profesional enough to undertake some of this in their own time.

After all, why should they be spoon fed after they have been given employer's time to go to college/university to get registered in the first place.

I agree with you, Malcolm. (Totally!)

It's wonderful if the employer provides opportunities and the finances for Continuing Professional Development (commonly called "Continuing Education" in the U.S.) when possible. However, if Continuing Education credits are required for the individual to maintain their registration/certification, shouldn't a significant part of the responsibility fall on the individual to take the initiative?

I have often negotiated with my employer. (Example: "If you will pay my salary for this 2-day seminar, I'll pay my own registration fee and traveling/lodging expenses.") The way I look at it, my employer is going to benefit from what I learn, and I personally gain something that I can take with me wherever I am employed. So I guess my ideal model would be a shared investment (both the individual & the employer.)

So how do we change this attitude and inspire them to do this?....You don't see this attitude in the medical profession.

Does this also mean that after we retire- there will be no one left to sort out serological problems or anamolous group results by tube techniques?Will labs will be run by folk who will depend solely on automation with no problem solving skills whatsoever??

If this is the case we will definately see an increase in serious transfusion incidents within the next 5 -10 years.

Is anyone else concerned about this?

Actually L106, in the UK most of us get paid as normal while attending courses, as well as the course, travel and lodging fees paid for us. I didn't realise the system was different for you guys in the U.S.

Edited by RR1

budget cut!!! there is no money. Eventhough you would like to attend particular seminar and also your supervisor wants you to attend.....if there is no finance available in your budget you can not attend. Eg. AABB meeting....it is too expensive to pay from your pocket and there is no budget so your employer can pay for you.

I think there will be a big drop in # of attendee @ AABB meeting this year.

budget cut!!! there is no money. Eventhough you would like to attend particular seminar and also your supervisor wants you to attend.....if there is no finance available in your budget you can not attend. Eg. AABB meeting....it is too expensive to pay from your pocket and there is no budget so your employer can not pay for you.

I think there will be a big drop in # of attendee @ AABB meeting this year.

When you think about the overall cost of handling and testing blood and the number of errors associated with incorrect practices, ( and therefore the cost of potential litigation), it's ridiculous that we are constrained by these miniscule training budgets.

I do agree that there is a very fundamental need for places at conferences, in formal training sessions off-site, etc, etc to be financed by the employer, and that the employer benefits from this outlay. Nevertheless, such training also benefits the employee, in terms of making them more likely to be promoted and, therefore, higher paid, and it follows that the employee should "sacrifice" (not the mot juste, but I can't think of a better word at the moment) some of their own time to bring this about.

I think, RR1, that your staff should be made to realize this. How, is another thing entirely. If gentle persuasion doesn't work, try gentle (and I do mean gentle) embarrassment about the "take all, give nothing" attitude.

The answer appears to be "YES!"!

Wrong answer!!! ...we need to find a solution , and change this attitude!!- we can't just carry on and accept this. There must be a way to improve and motivate our staff to carry on learning outside of work.

Over 600 people log onto this BBT site nearly everday- we all want to learn, that why we do it. We need to find ways to encourage the less motivated ones.:faq:

Edited by RR1

Wrong answer!!! ...we need to find a solution , and change this attitude!!- we can't just carry on and accept this. There must be a way to improve and motivate our staff to carry on learning outside of work.

Over 600 people log onto this BBT site nearly everday- we all want to learn, that why we do it. We need to find ways to encourage the less motivated ones.:faq:

I agree entirely. I was just commenting upon the status quo.

I'm in agreement with L106 and in my organization the "stellar performers" are given the same merit increases as those who "barely meet the standards". 2%!

I know it's not all about the money and that the exceptional techs do extra because of their internal motivators and their work ethic.

We are all asked to do more with less (I am BB sup and Lab Manager simultaneously) and for us right now it is all about the bottom line $$$$$.

We have tried to have protected time each month for techs to do their continuing ed but we've implemented a new BB system, will be implementing a new EHR and it's the middle of vacation season in our lab.

Rashmi, you may be being unrealistic but I understand completely what you are saying. There are too many techs in all age groups that subscribe to the "eight and skate theory". Put in my 8 hours and skate out the door.

Since we just experienced a "reduction in force" in my lab in April can you blame them?????

Thanks Likewine99.....i'm not going to get depressed about this. One day when trends show an increase in serious lab incidents, perhaps training practices and staff numbers will improve.

I just find it very sad that majority of staff can't even find an hour a week to continue learning. We are meant to be a professional body, it's our responsibility to do this.

Just to add my thought (yes just the one!) - have you considered that some people don't actually know where to start or how to learn? I come across this constantly in my job. This may initially appear to be them wanting 'spoon-feeding' -but perhaps if you start them off gently they will begin to fend for themselves. I admire your determination to help them Rashmi! Having lots of experience of this you're going to need a strong will to not let it get you down...

I think a lot of adult learning behaviour stems from 'bad education' during their younger days (& also that feeling of 'I never want to learn anything ever again', which I must admit I have had, albeit transiently!). My personal experience of learning is not good. Most of my 'how to learn' techniques are through trial & error. There is still an overwhelming view that 'I'm at work not school'. I think if you can get just a few past that you'll encourage the majority to participate.

Do you run any lunchtime events? We have a monthly journal club where each person on the list picks an article to lead a discussion on. I won't lie to you sometimes it falls on it's face (last minute nerves, no one shows up etc) but most of the time it does work & you will end up with a few core people that really do want it to work.

Sorry my one thought seems to have gone on a bit! Hope it helps anyway...

Thanks Fluffy- some excellent points to consider, especially about folk not actually knowing how to begin to learn, I hadn't thought of that aspect (i'm learning something new everyday on this forum!)

We will have to try a journal club- but shift patterns don't help in this for most of us. I was also thinking of passing interesting problems around to staff via internal email, to work on together.

Edited by RR1

I have to agree with the earlier responses. While it would be ideal for everyone to feel passionate about improving their knowledge and committing to their jobs. We also have a growing number of people who are taking care of children and parents (read the book "When Generations Collide".. it might help you better understand this "new" way of thinking. Calling your employees "these people" might be part of the problem... just a thought). Employees are spending more time commuting to and from work. Time at home with the family becomes more and more precious. Asking them to spend 30 minutes a day "researching" for work - without pay. May truly be too much to ask. Maybe consider giving them a paid lunch if they will read trade magazines while they eat... get creative about ways to do it without busting the budget...

Thanks Rashmi. Glad I was of some use!

Here's how we run our journal club (it'd be interesting to have some fresh ideas/ other ways of doing this from this forum too).

I compile a list of all the staff required to do CPD to keep up their registration (& include any other staff that have expressed an interest). I then randomly pick names & assign them to a monthly lunchtime slot. This way the more staff that participate the less often they need to lead the group - I have at least 30 people on my list so in theory they would only be picked once every 2 years. This is seen as a positive thing by those who are reluctant to 'stand up & speak'!

Each person has a responsibility to pick an item that they themselves find interesting/ difficult/ relevant. In the past we have had discussions on blood doping in athletes, vCJD testing, history of transfusion, transfusion alternatives, pet transfusion, SHOT cases, patient case studies, royal blood diseases etc (I think the possibilities are endless!). The topic picker must provide handouts to be distributed prior to the event (in the hope that some people will read it first!) & prepare a short summary for the group to get the discussion started. Some have even gone so far as to do a mini-quiz. The source can be anything from transfusion journals to newspapers & tv.

One of the most beneficial results that comes from this is that people start to be able to critically evaluate what they are reading, learn how to read between the lines, spot what is missing from the studies, realise that just because it's printed doesn't mean it's true &, of course, do that all important reflection!

I like your idea about emailing case studies. I wonder do you do the NHSBT IPEx as part of your staff proficiency testing? It is available from NHSBT reagents & contains practical exercises with questions to follow. I think this is a good place to start CPD off.

I would be very interested in other ideas (time to spot the gorilla?)

Thanks for your response Debbie, you've given some very valid reasons. Most of us have family commitments that we need to balance with our work life. I don't consider spending one hour a week (not 1/2 hr per day) too much for professionals to find time in keeping up with topics.

Would you like to be treated by a doctor who was 10yrs behind with treatment regimes and current good practices?

Thank you for recommending the book- I will certainly obtain a copy. Please be assured that when I referred to 'these people', I was by no means de-valueing them. I am very fond of all my staff (these people!!!), and sincerely want to understand the overall problems being encountered, to be able to help.

Thanks Fluffy for some more good ideas, and yes, we do get the IPEX and make sure everyone gets a turn- as part of their competency.

• 4 months later...

Hi Rashmi

Sounds like a familiar problem of the current education system - eveybody is spoon-fed and so loose the ability / desire to put their own effort into anything. I also find the younger members want instant results on anything.

I've found that a culture of "give and take" works best - the staff member gives a bit of time and the lab gives a bit of time. The hardest thing is to start people off on the system - they gat the "lab gives a bit of time" but don't quite get the "staff gives a bit of time" bit of it :) Then I find that favouring those who do work in their own time is a good motivator. That is not monitary favours but them getting more time off for study or being higher up the list to go for conferences and whatnot. Then when the non-triers moan you can say "Well Sally does work in her own time - what do you do?" argument comes out.

I agree though it is a really difficult problem with no easy remedies. But at least this time we CAN blame society :)

Does this also mean that after we retire- there will be no one left to sort out serological problems or anamolous group results by tube techniques?Will labs will be run by folk who will depend solely on automation with no problem solving skills whatsoever??

If this is the case we will definately see an increase in serious transfusion incidents within the next 5 -10 years.

Is anyone else concerned about this?

As a baby boomer and future retiree (I hope.......), I'm concerned! More incentive to maintain my health and be my own patient advocate!

Margaret Wilde, MT(ASCP)SBB

Hi Andy,

Good to have you on BBT- at least you do your homework!

Regarding the give and take approach,some staff don't even want to attend meetings even if you try to get them to go

It's possible folk are feeling so overwhelmed with workloads that the last thing they want to think of is work issues, but they all have a responsibility for CPD.