Weak D testing

AUDREY

Dear Malcom.

Yes, absolutely yes, Dame Professor Marcela Contreras, collaborate with us in the establishment of our National Blood Service, no doubts, she is a big contribution to my country, and I am very proud of her.

However, we have to contribute in the redaction and adecuation of different models that can apply to our reality.

Hi Aoliveg,

While I am not familiar with the reagents you can access in Chile, I agree with Malcolm - but with some provisos. I think the most useful operational Anti-D reagent in most populations is an IgM/IgG biclonal reagent (Malcolm calls this a "blend"). It is important however that the specificity of the clones is known and understood and the sensitivity of the reagent is good. If you find a reagent that has the RUM-1 IgM clone, this is sensitive, avid and also completely fails to detect DVI so this is perfect to use as a typing reagents for patients (maternal samples and pretransfusion samples.

The IgG clone should be potent (sensitive) and detect as many variants as possible including DVI. This is the desired specificity for blood donors and cord bloods if you choose.

So in use, you do a direct test on all samples and for patients just report the direct test resylt. For blood donors and cord blood samples you take any negative sample to AHG phase (Du test) and report that result if different from the direct phase test.

And Bob's your uncle!

It was probably less annoying than the alleged breakfast with John!

Okay Malcolm....see what you have started yet again???!!!!:):):)

Yes, he was annoyed.....you know what he does for a living!! They (supposedly) are "ABOVE" us in their status in this world....(Sorry, I'm irritated at the moment...):mad::mad: