is resereve Status Considered Available?

Just wondering in general...

If a unit is in reserved Status do systems consider it available for issue? Can it go from Reserved to Issued without a check to see if a confirmation has been done (ABo/Rh) on the unit or would it still make that check?

I need to be clearer... Sorry. I am LIS Manager and our Vendor says that a Reserved unit should be considered available. My BB Manager says it can be availabel but the system should tell them it has not been re-typed if that has not been done. When units come in they are set to a BG(Blood Group) status which means they need to be re-typed and thn they are subsequently made available. My BB Manager says she should be able to change status form BG to Resevered without re-typing so that it is reserved. If a tech tried to Emergency Issue the unit it should tell them that it needs a re-type. So there is finger pointing. I don't have a good BB background to argue either way so I was wondering how other LIS vendors call this or is it strictly a site call on how they set up the system. I can prevent the BG to Reserve but she says this is a valid requirement. Thanks in advance..

The system should not let them issue any unit of red cells that have not been retyped, no matter what the status is. The institution should have a policy that keeps units in quarantine until they have been retyped. Computers are a wonderful tool BUT they are only as good as the information set up in them. This is something that should have been validated prior to the system going live.

I do apprecaite your comments but.. I know what SHOULD have been done. I know all units need to be re-typed before issue My question is more general than that. I am not interested in blame here. I just want some input on how other systems handle it. I can prevent it from happening. Again. Thats not the issue. I do know some about BB - just not the fine points. the question is on the definiton and implication of Reserved. Vendor says Reserved is same as available. BB Manager says no. Anyone care to weigh in.

Reserved is not same as available. You can get Autologous unit and reserve to a patient before retype. IS that unit is available to issue No? until you retype it.

In cerner classic you can reserve a unit but can not issue, system will flag you and I believe you need to enter password before issue and will flag on exception report.

In Cerner Millennium a unit can be reserved without being available also. To me, reserved means it is set aside for a particular patient and CANNOT be considered available for the patient for whom it is reserved until retyping, and all other pretransfusion testing, has been completed.

If I am reading this right, I think you have a couple of issues going on here: I do not agree with your vendor: reserved should not be considered available. The BB manager says it can be available but the system should tell them it has not been retyped. Red cell units should not be available until the reytpe is done.

We have cerner classic. We can reserve a product prior to retyping. If we tried to emergency release it prior to retyping, we would need to supply the password as aakupaku mentioned. I'm not exactly clear on what the finger pointing is about but personally, I think you can allow the BG to Reserve. We want our autologous units reserved immediately. They should stay on the quarantine shelf until the retype is done and users should not be allowed to do anything else with it in the computer until the retype is done. Good luck.