Help on Basic Blood banking

david10q

Hi there

I need ideas on how to start a basic blood banking system. I am here in East Africa working on HIV/AIDS projcet and found out that the local health center need some help in establishing just a basic simple blood banking system and procedures to save lives of labouring mothers.

They do have refregraters, electric power supply, basic lab and skilled clinicians. You think you can give some ideas?

Thanks.

David.

Hi there

I need ideas on how to start a basic blood banking system. I am here in East Africa working on HIV/AIDS projcet and found out that the local health center need some help in establishing just a basic simple blood banking system and procedures to save lives of labouring mothers.

They do have refregraters, electric power supply, basic lab and skilled clinicians. You think you can give some ideas?

Thanks.

David.

To help, need to know your background, the budget, space, population # per month, staff, by a basic lab you mean what?, level of expertise of docs. Severity of patients arriving to the center.

Yes AABB has excellent books, but if your training is not BBing then it might be hard. So please answer specific questions so we can help you. What is the % of HIV in your populations.. we have to consider that for the screening of the donors.

try to check on government regulation or policy on operating a blood bank like license to operate?..if there such regulation check on the space needed, personnel requirements (training requirements), level of operation like testing, storage, donor recruitment.

AABB as suggested have good reference books and also a helpful guide for future development of blood bank in your area. hope you could be more specific on what you need.

• 1 month later...

I have a blood bank system but it's made specificly for mine, I made it, I'm a computer systems engineer, if you need help on building one for you're bank and don't have the resourses for a big one like the ones that are on sale, you can contact me and I think I can modify mine for you're specific need's all you would need would be a computer with windows :D

Hi,

- Get the copies of all important Bloods by AABB (latest editions)

- start with a free local Blood Grouping campaign..which will give you a good data of willing Blood Donors and also the group incidence in the locality. They may be called when you start operating.

- The start with all paper modalities , infrastructure etc etc., based on local rules and regulations..

- Get the list of suppliers of equipments and reagents in the locality . ask for the details. like quotation etc etc..

hope this may help..?

with regards,

engeekay2003