Hi from the Ever Lasting Spring, Guatemala

mozkowiz

Hi, my name is Roberto Carlos Moscoso, I'm a computer systems engineer, this will leave you to ask, what am I doing here... well my dad (died on 2002) was a Hematologist, and also worked with Oncological patients, and for years he struggled to get trough blood crisis, finally he founded a Blood Bank on 1996, and after his passing I stepped in to take care of it. Until now we are the best blood bank in our country, we have the latest technology and very good professionals as well as top of the line installations, but we want to stay as the best, so we're always researching for more information and newer technology, I'm working on a webpage is one of the many projects I have, and as soon as it's up I will inform everyone here and hope to get reviews from you, good bad doesn't matter as long as they force us to be keep being the best. Our blood bank is called Banco de Sangre Privado Dr. Carlos Moscoso (Private Blood Bank, Dr. Carlos Moscoso. In honor to my late father)

Well with no more to say, hope I can get to meet new people through here, and hopefully we'll all learn more.

Roberto Carlos Moscoso

Guatemala.

Thanks, I live in Guatemala City Guatemala, the ever lasting spring part is because it's true, haha, the geographical position of our country doesn't have strong winters nor a prolonged fall there for you can se flowers and trees blooming all year long, as it would be on spring.

• 1 month later...

Welcome and good luck. I am new to this website but not to Blood Banking.

I recently interviewed two technicians from Columbia (the country) and both were well trained candidates with much chemistry background. I was amazed that Blood Banking is not performed to the extent we see in USA, Canada and Europe.

You certainly have your work cut out for you. This forum appears to be a good place for you to pick up information and hope to see your system grow!

Well, it's an every day struggle, the biggest problem we have in Guatemala is the absolute lack of voluntary donors, we are working with some of the latest equipment, for example all of our blood bags are prepared with lecureduction chemicals, and we are working with abot serology tests (Architect 2000) and we just started using the gel system for all our compatibility tests, and as of next week well be installing a full computer system to control everything else. We are small if compared to other big countries, but we are on a phase in wich wer'e growing hopefully for the best.

Mozkowiz,

I was in the Peace Corps in Guatemala back in the 1980s. Lots of memories- some fond, some otherwise. (smile) I lived in Solola, Solola. From what I understand, that area has changed a great deal since then. Tourism has arrived!

• 2 months later...
Well, it's an every day struggle, the biggest problem we have in Guatemala is the absolute lack of voluntary donors, we are working with some of the latest equipment, for example all of our blood bags are prepared with lecureduction chemicals, and we are working with abot serology tests (Architect 2000) and we just started using the gel system for all our compatibility tests, and as of next week well be installing a full computer system to control everything else. We are small if compared to other big countries, but we are on a phase in wich wer'e growing hopefully for the best.

Welcome to this wonderful place.

I hope that you will like it.

I have a question for you: How is the sensitivity and specificity on the Architect 2000, are you getting too many false-positives with HCV screening?

Thanks

Liz

Edited by Liz
Typo