Who dispenses albumin?

jhaig

We have been dispensing our albumin products (25% 100ml, 25% 50ml, and 5% 250ml) for a number of years now, but it had previously been done by the pharmacy. They still give out the IVIG, but we do the albumin. Have blood banks traditionally been the ones to be in charge of albumin or should the pharmacy be the ones in charge of it? I feel better having control over it myself, but I'm just wondering how other facilities handle the dispensation of albumin products.

We sent all albumin to the pharmacy some years ago and haven't been sorry. It is dispensed through the Pixis system on the patient care areas. It saves us a lot of hassles and improves patient care by cutting down the time it takes for infusion to begin. Since we don't need a blood type, etc. there seemed no reason for Blood Bank to handle it. Pharmacy takes care of procurement, billing, etc. The lots and outdates are tracked by them just like they track any other medication.

We do still handle RhoGAM - that I feel Blood Bank needs some control over to ensure that the patients who need it here, get it.

Pharmacy has always handled it here. The only problem I have with it is that they determine wether they have enough on hand to use for plasma exchanges ( when appropriate). So they often say they don't have any available and we have to substitute plasma for those exchanges! We don't have any idea how much they have so we can't really question it.

We handle albumin. I tried to get pharmacy to take it but they refused. With all the Pixis stations it does seem better to have pharmacy handle it. Adminstration likes it in Blood Bank because we do a better job of tracking useage by service and flagging orders that seem outside the norm.

So it looks like I'm in the minority here. If I were to approach the Pharmacy about handling albumin, how would I convince them that it's in the hospital's best interest to take it over? I don't know how their Pixis system works, but I've heard good things about it. This is one albatross I'd really like to remove from my already weighted-down neck.

You are cutting out the middle man - yourself and all the extra steps it takes for ordering, checking out, etc etc - since Pixis will dispense on the patient floor. That = $$$ saved for your institution, which is always a good argument for anybody. It worked for us.