Plasma Frozen within 24 hrs.

I would be interested in how others are handling plasma frozen within 24 hours.

Do you use it interchangeably with traditional FFP?

Did you change the name in the computer and on the transfusion tags?

Did you inform your medical staff? Did they understand or show an interest or concern?

We don't make it. If we can't make FFP within the required 8 hours after draw, we discard the plasma. I have freezer room for about 1000 units, and when the freezers get full, as they are now, we can get picky about what we make.

BC

We use plasma frozen within 24 hours just like regular FFP. It was approved by the Transfusion Committee and was not discussed with the medical staff. In fact when we started using it we got no questions at all. Plasma frozen within 24 hours does have a different product code than FFP. The description is Plasma, Frozen within 24 hours after Phlebotomy. The product code is 18101.

Our blood center went to the plasma frozen with in 24 hours in January. We weren't really given an option on it. We use it for FFP orders and it is labelled on the bag tag as FFP24. We did not say anything to the medical staff, so we have gotten no feedback on the change.

We have recently begun using FP24 at our facility, essentially as a substitutable product for FFP, but with a few exceptions. At the same time we have also gone to 5 day dating. When we thaw FFP, we assign a 24 hour dating; if not used, we relabel the product as Thawed Plasma and add an additional 4 days. If we thaw an FP24, we call it Thawed Plasma and go directly to 5 day dating. We have just started this new process, so we are still experiencing something of a learning curve, both on the floors and within the Blood Bank....despite a huge training and communication effort. Hopefully things will settle down shortly. In the long term, we hope to decrease the wastage we have seen in the past.

We've been using this component interchangeably with FFP, thawed for quite some time. We turn FFP and PF24 into Thawed Plasma upon the first modification. This is a decision that pre-dates me, so I really don't have an answer as to why, but it works for us. When we started receiving more PF24, I did a little looking and found the following link:

http://www.newenglandblood.org/professional/plasmaguide.htm

We do not purchase labels for our thawed plasma. We print them ourselves using a DigiTrax printer. I can email you a scanned picture of the label, if you like, but I have no ordering information I can provide for you. Hopefully someone else will be able to provide you with information.

Brenda

In addition to plasma frozen within 24 hours our Blood Center also provides an FFP pheresis product. We've been using all the FFP products for our patients. We placed the products into use without any introduction except for blood bank staff training. Since the AABB placed restrictions on the use of female donors for FFP the availability of FFP products is limited and we use what ever we get from the Blood Center. We had to developed specific product code for our computer system but that should disappear with the implementation of ISBT128 in May of 2008.

We convert all our FFP products to Thawed Plasma if not used within the expiration time. We had the labels printed by our label supplier.

I'll be glad to provide information, pictures etc. concerning the label suppler. One of our staff took before and after digital pictures of the product that we use as part of our procedure. Helps a lot when you have Generalists rotating through the blood bank on second and third shift.

Sandy Smietana

ssmietan@macneal.com

We use the same label as Bev, but we are going live with ISBT 128 in August, so we won't be using them much longer!

Brenda, good to see you again, and good luck in your new position as transfusion safety officer.

BC