Leukoreduced RBC prices

We're currently evaluating a new blood supplier contract and would like some input on pricing. I realize many hospitals' blood supplier contracts are confidential but I'm just curious about price and location so no supplier or hospital would have to be named. I believe blood prices are much higher on either coast than in the midwest so if you are willing to share the price per leukoreduced RBC please include your area of the country so I have some context. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

(We currently pay $181.00 for a LR RBC and we're in the midwest.)

Believe it or not, if I told you what we paid and folks up the food chain found out I would be fired, no questions asked. They would prefer execution but so far HR has been able to convince them that would be unacceptable. Actually I've been told I can't even share my SOPs any more.

Anyway back to your question. Our corporation, the biggest in the area has a contract with prices lower than you noted. This is in the Rocky Mountains.

Believe it or not, if I told you what we paid and folks up the food chain found out I would be fired, no questions asked. They would prefer execution but so far HR has been able to convince them that would be unacceptable. Actually I've been told I can't even share my SOPs any more.

Anyway back to your question. Our corporation, the biggest in the area has a contract with prices lower than you noted. This is in the Rocky Mountains.

John,

I understand there can be negative consequences to well intentioned actions. Please let me know if you would like the SOPs you've posted in the past removed, and I will take care of that.

No, I'm not concerned about previous postings. In the future I'll help as much as possible without actually posting an SOP. It's really too bad that I can't just post SOPs. I know I've been helped by others and think some have found help in those I've shared in the past. It's simply those folks near the top of the food chain being concerned I might share info that could get them in trouble one way or another.

Well, I do understand. I am one of those people at my place of employment and I am very hesitant to post them. Not for the same reason though. I try not to identify my place of employment in this site, so there is no perceived conflict. The items I have posted are usually cleaned of identifying info. Would they be OK with that?

• 2 weeks later...

We use the National Blood Exchange for 99% of our inventory. Prices vary widely - you are correct that the east coast prices are higher. Some California prices can be high, though we found Central Cal Fresno and Blood Center of Sacramento reasonable. Price ranges: $165 - $210.

Using the NBE saves us close to $1M/year compared to the local supplier. (MA has only one supplier!)